Manchester United want to extend Marcus Rashford’s contract before the turn of the year in order to fend off interest from Paris Saint-Germain, The Daily Mail report.
The England international had a difficult 2021/22 campaign with the Red Devils, bagging just five goals and two assists from 32 appearances in all competitions.
However, he has managed to turnaround his fortunes this term with seven goals and three assists from 15 games and could make the Three Lions’ World Cup squad.
Amidst this, it is reported that the hierarchy want to extend Rashford’s stay before the end of the year such that foreign clubs including PSG can’t negotiate with him.
Rashford’s current deal with the Red Devils expires in the summer of 2023, but the club have the option to keep him for another 12 months via an extension clause.
The board want to either trigger the clause or finalise fresh terms with Rashford before January. With the World Cup starting this month, contract talks could be delayed.
Man Utd could give themselves time by triggering clause
Rashford has revived his form under manager Erik ten Hag this campaign. The 25-year-old has room to improve with his finishing, but is definitely playing with plenty of confidence.
The £54 million-rated star is currently one of many United players that have entered the final year of their contracts and it appears only a matter of time before the hierarchy open negotiations with most of them.
However, a new deal may not be straightforward for Rashford as compared to Diogo Dalot. Dalot is one of the lowest earners at £25,000-a-week. United could convince him by quadrupling his salary.
In the case of Rashford, it is a completely different story as he is among the highest-paid players at £200,000-a-week. In our view, Rashford could be eyeing around £300,000 weekly to prolong his stay.
With such a big contract decision to make, the club could give themselves time by triggering his extension clause. The club may ideally look to sort out his future in the early months of 2023.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Capology.com
- Jadon Sancho struggles in Dortmund’s Champions League draw against PSV
- Man Utd really like Juventus star Gleison Bremer, will cost at least €70m
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe finally completes purchase of minority stake in Manchester United
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe