Manchester United ideally want to make three more signings before the transfer window closes on September 1, according to The Telegraph.
The Red Devils have already signed three players this summer in the form of Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen and Lisandro Martinez.
It is quite clear that they need more reinforcements such that they can challenge to finish in the top four of the Premier League this term.
United ideally want three new players before the deadline, and The Telegraph report that Frenkie de Jong and Adrien Rabiot are top targets.
A new forward is also being eyed by the hierarchy, but it is reported that Cody Gakpo could prove too expensive if De Jong joins the club.
United have entered key phase of the transfer window
Earlier in the summer, there was an opinion from some supporters that United have plenty of time on their hands to land preferred targets.
However, things have gone completely quiet since Martinez’s arrival. As of now, Juventus’ Rabiot appears the most likely to join the club this month.
A deal worth £14.4 million plus add-ons has been agreed with Juventus. A transfer could materialise, provided there are no setbacks over personal terms.
The Frenchman is eyeing around £162,000-a-week to join the Red Devils, and that should be affordable for United with several higher earners at the club.
Meanwhile, United have made no progress in signing De Jong from Barcelona despite finalising a transfer fee worth £72m with the Spanish side last month.
The Red Devils have not given up on signing the Dutchman, but The Telegraph are clearly stating that the player ‘simply does not want to join United’ this summer.
If there is no resolution over the matter in the coming days, United could have a fallback option in place in Lazio’s Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, who is a long-term target.
Elsewhere, Gakpo’s £34m move to United could materialise if De Jong does not join them. Otherwise, the Red Devils could end up pursuing a low-cost attacking option.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return