Morning all. ‘Massive’ game against Coventry today. The sky blues fans are certainly excited about the game. Moreover it would be a big game for the young ‘uns who would be looking to make a mark. I wonder if any channel is willing to telecast this game. It looks highly unlikely, at the moment. So we would have to make do with some indifferent radio commentary and post match reports tomorrow.
Anyway, on to the teams.
The Reds will be looking to play their second string side as SAF confirmed it earlier in a radio chat. He also talked up the possibility of Rooney playing (likely to be named captain), after he pleaded like an infant asking to be taken out to Disney land. We know Rooney well to expect that. We saw the hunger in him during pre-season, and the injury against Reading must have come as a cruel shock to him, more than anyone else. He must have felt like a kid who just had a candy bar snatched from his mouth by the school bully. It’s good to see him wanting to play, and if Fergie agrees, he might get some more valuable minutes in his bid for full fitness.
That said, I would prefer if Saha started alongside Dong, with Anderson in Scholes’ role and Hargreaves, if fit, alongside him. I wonder if Hargreaves is, indeed, going to play as a lot of reports say he hasn’t reached full fitness levels yet. If so, it would be O’Shea who would take his place. I would have liked Darron Gibson to play in that position, but he’s out for 6 weeks at least.
Nani and Eagles would most likely start on the wings.
Our defence would comprise of Simpson, Evans, Pique and Bardsley, most probably. Tomasz Kuszczak would take over goal keeping duties from the excellent EVDS.
I don’t know too much about Coventry City, so Man Utd fans reading this from Coventry, fill us up on the details in the comment section.
The result shouldn’t matter too much as we have other priorities, but it is important we win this because it would give our young players more opportunities to do better in later rounds. So that should be the preview part for the day.
Meanwhile, in other news, Maradona, who is coming to Old Trafford for the Wigan game to watch Tevez play, has hailed Tevez as a great player. He thinks Tevez is more like a son to him, and reckons he would go on to be a Manchester United legend.
“Tevez is like a son to me – from the moment I met him I have felt like that. I met him six years ago when he was at Boca Juniors and instantly I could see he was going to be great. He reminded me of when I was his age – the hunger and the passion for the game. Every second he had a ball with him he was happy. We are still so close and my ex-wife and his wife are very good friends. I can’t wait to get over to England and see him and for him to come to watch me play. I will make sure he sees a good game when we play England. I still have the hunger to play well and score goals and that’s what I will do.”
Most Argentines come with the weight of being compared to Maradona and Carlitos was no different. Of course, that potential, at present, is surely being realized by Lionel Messi. So if Tevez turns out to be even half of Maradona, we would have a hell of a player in our hands. Anyway, his attitude on the pitch is terrific, and one hopes he doesn’t go the way of other Argentines who’ve played for us in the past.
Anyway, that’s it from me for the day. Hopefully we get to watch/listen to the game in some capacity.
Come on you REDS!
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action