Manchester United are very interested in signing Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Ruben Neves, according to Spanish publication Sport (page 4).
The Portugal international has been a mainstay for the Midlands outfit but he is expected to move on at the end of the current campaign.
His present deal expires in June next year and Sport report that United have already made an approach to sign him in the last few months.
While United are ‘very interested’ in securing his services, it is claimed that the midfielder has a firm stance of joining Barcelona at the end of the season.
As per Sport, personal terms have already been agreed over a four-year deal but the operation is not closed. Barcelona need to recoup funds from sales first.
United should pursue better midfield options
Neves has built his reputation as a hard-working midfielder for Wolves. However, there have been some concerns over his top speed and mobility on United’s end.
This season, the €40 million-rated star has completed only 84 per cent of his passes in the league. He has registered two tackles and two clearances per game but has been dispossessed frequently.
The former Porto graduate has lost possession on more than 12 occasions. In our opinion, United should look at better options to reinforce their midfield department.
Brighton & Hove Albion’s Alexis Mac Allister would be a far better signing. The Argentine could be lured to Old Trafford this summer with Champions League football.
It does not make sense for United to focus on Neves, who clearly dreams of joining Barcelona.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Man Utd have their eyes on Dusan Vlahovic, Juventus open to selling him
- Man Utd interested in signing Andre Onana, Inter could sell him for €40-50m
- Erik ten Hag could unleash Alejandro Garnacho vs Man City after Antony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd’s next striker: Three stars on the radar
- FA Cup final preview: Manchester City vs Manchester United – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Major blow for Manchester United with Anthony Martial set to miss FA Cup final against Man City
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United