Manchester United are very interested in signing Bologna star Joshua Zirkzee, according to Italian publication Il Resto del Carlino.
The Red Devils have been regularly linked with the Dutchman over the last fortnight amid suggestions that they want to recruit another striker.
Il Resto de Carlino (via Tutto Bologna Web) now report that United are ‘very interested’ in signing the 22-year-old, who has made 12 goal contributions this season.
Erik ten Hag’s side are not alone in the pursuit with Newcastle United, AC Milan, Napoli and Juventus also keeping tabs on the forward’s progress.
Despite this, Bologna have no plans to sell him until the summer. He could still leave in the coming weeks if his €40 million release clause is triggered.
United won’t afford Zirkzee without player sales
The Red Devils are currently walking a tight rope when it comes to Financial Fair Play. They could be limited to signing someone on a temporary basis with an option or obligation to buy.
Zirkzee would be a solid acquisition for United. He is strong with his hold-up play and can score with either foot. He also has an aerial presence at 193cm.
The former Bayern Munich ace also has good distribution skills with almost 20 passes per game playing up front. He would provide competition for Rasmus Hojlund.
However, a deal seems unlikely to happen. Unless United can recoup €40m from sales to pay for Zirkzee, Bologna are not expected to contemplate his departure.
The Italian club have had an exceptional season and are currently fifth in Serie A, just one point behind a Champions League spot. It is unsurprising that they are determined to keep hold of him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow