Manchester United are ‘very interested’ in signing Atalanta striker Rasmus Hojlund this summer, according to Danish magazine Tipsbladet.
The Red Devils signed Wout Weghorst on loan from Burnley last month and the Dutchman has been a regular up front in the injury absence of Anthony Martial.
However, it is unlikely that the 30-year-old will be signed permanently and the club are expected to pursue a young striker when the transfer window reopens.
United have been linked with Benfica’s Goncalo Ramos and Napoli’s Victor Osimhen lately, but Tipsbladet claim that they are ‘very interested’ in Hojlund.
However, there is still a ‘long way to go’ before a transfer can be agreed, considering there is vast competition from clubs from across Europe.
Juventus, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Napoli as well as Arsenal are keeping tabs on the Denmark starlet, who is currently valued at €50 million by Atalanta.
Hojlund has the potential to become world-class
The 20-year-old joined Atalanta from Sturm Graz in late August. He contributed just one goal and one assist from 12 appearances before the World Cup.
However, his form has been superb since the turn of the year. Hojlund has bagged six goals and one assist from his last 10 games – eight of those being starts.
Hence, he has started to show his true potential. His playing style can be compared to Erling Haaland as he is also left-footed, strongly built and gifted with pace.
If United are serious about signing him, they may need to start off negotiations early as there could be a huge bidding war for his services at the end of the season.
A summer deal for Hojlund over Osimhen would suggest that manager Erik ten Hag is leaning towards developing youngsters rather than making big-name signings.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books
- ‘High hopes’: Lionel Scaloni speaks about Alejandro Garnacho’s future with Argentina