Manchester United are very close to landing the signature of River Plate forward Julian Alvarez.
The Argentine has had a superb campaign for River Plate, bagging a stunning tally of 24 goals and 15 assists across all competitions.
His form has caught the eye of several European clubs, and it was recently reported that his agent will hold talks with United.
Portuguese insider Pedro Almeida now claims that Alvarez is ‘very close’ to joining United, who are ready to pay his release clause.
Alvarez has a relatively low buy-out clause of €20 million. He could be Ralf Rangnick’s first signing as the interim head coach.
Rangnick will step down from his interim role at the end of the campaign, but he has agreed a consultancy position for the next two years.
On that basis, he should be involved in the transfer proceedings. The German prefers to sign upcoming stars over experienced personnel.
Alvarez has been a revelation in Argentina. His exceptional form this year, has already earned five international caps under Lionel Scaloni.
While the 21-year-old has been splendid with his goal contributions, he has also impressed with his strong hold-up play and dribbling ability.
The youngster also does not shy away from his defensive work. He averaged one tackle per game during the second phase of the season.
The only drawback could be his limited aerial presence at 173cm, but he has already earned comparisons with Argentine legend Sergio Aguero.
United should be in pole position to sign him if they can assure him regular minutes. His arrival could trigger the departure of Anthony Martial.
The Frenchman has been widely touted to join Sevilla. The La Liga club are keen on landing him on a short-term loan with a buy option.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Brentford
- Ralf Rangnick provides injury update on three Man Utd stars