Manchester United are very close to securing the services of Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong, according to Sport.
The Red Devils have been in constant discussions for the 25-year-old in recent weeks, and they are now on the verge of signing him.
A fee of €80 million has been finalised, and it is reported that the proposed transfer is now in the ‘final stretch’ and ‘very very advanced’.
United have already opened talks with De Jong’s agents over personal terms. A five-year contract is expected to be agreed.
De Jong has been tipped to move to Old Trafford by June 30 with Barcelona likely to want to balance their books for the financial year.
De Jong has been manager Erik ten Hag’s priority target since his appointment. After weeks of negotiations, it seems they have managed to persuade the Blaugrana to sanction his exit.
It has cost a premium fee to prise him away, but the midfielder should offer value for investment. The Dutchman is excellent with the ball at his feet and has completed over 91 per cent of his passes throughout his career.
He should provide a good upgrade on the likes of Scott McTominay and Fred. De Jong played as the number six at Ajax, and Ten Hag could deploy him in a similar position at Old Trafford.
The Dutchman is not a tough tackler by any means, but he is capable of winning regular duels and has the ability to dispossess opponents with his clever movement and anticipation.
De Jong looks set to become United’s first major signing of the summer and hopefully, there are many more big-name arrivals at the club. Christian Eriksen has been heavily linked lately.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd very interested in signing Brighton prodigy Moises Caicedo
- Joel Glazer firmly against the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Manchester United offered the chance to sign Antoine Griezmann
- Man Utd weigh up stunning deal for Casemiro
- Man Utd still considering move for Moussa Dembele
- talkSPORT and Fabrizio Romano claim Manchester United are closing in on £42m deal for Matheus Cunha
- Hakim Ziyech remains a priority for Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag
- Erik ten Hag makes direct request to Manchester United board to sign ‘scintillating’ Ajax attacker Antony
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Man Utd to accelerate Wan-Bissaka’s exit to sign Sergino Dest