Manchester United are very close to finalising a loan deal for Burnley striker Wout Weghorst, according to Foot Mercato.
The Red Devils have been eyeing a new striker over the past few days and it appears they are now close to finding a solution.
Earlier yesterday, it was claimed that United were interested in Al-Nassr’s Vincent Aboubakar, who is available on loan.
However, they have now decided to sign Weghorst over him. The striker is set to join them on a temporary basis.
The Dutchman will be recalled from his loan spell at Besiktas before signing with United for the rest of the current season.
Weghorst could provide a different dimension to United’s attack
The 30-year-old joined Besiktas on loan last summer after Burnley’s relegation from the Premier League.
He has been impressive for the Turkish outfit with nine goals and four assists from 18 games. He also starred for the Netherlands in the World Cup quarter-final against Argentina.
Weghorst scored both goals in his country’s stunning fightback from 2-0 down. This included a dramatic equaliser in the dying seconds of second-half stoppage time.
His side were eventually eliminated on penalties, but it seems Weghorst has done enough to earn himself a move to Old Trafford for the remainder of the campaign.
The striker may not be a regular starter at United, but should offer a different dimension to the attack off the bench with his strong physical and aerial presence in the box.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out