Manchester United are very close to reaching a transfer agreement for Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong, Spanish publication Sport reports.
The Red Devils recently opened negotiations with the Blaugrana for the 25-year-old, and they are now on the cusp of agreeing a transfer fee.
A package worth €80 million is set to be finalised. United are willing to pay a significant portion of the sum up front to ease Barcelona’s financial woes.
They still need to convince De Jong over a transfer, but there is growing optimism that the midfielder will make the switch to Old Trafford.
Meanwhile, United have set a deadline of mid-June for the deal. They are prepared to look elsewhere if De Jong continues to resist a move.
De Jong has been identified as Erik ten Hag’s prime midfield target, and there are no surprises that the club are determined to sign him.
He was a key catalyst behind Ajax’s run to the Champions League semi-final in 2018/19 where he operated from the holding midfield role.
Since his move to Camp Nou, he has played more centrally with Sergio Busquets behind. Ten Hag could get the best out of him at Old Trafford.
De Jong seems unconvinced with his desire to play in the Champions League, but United are still optimistic of luring him this summer.
With Barcelona apparently pushing him closer to the exit door, the midfielder could lean towards a reunion with his former Ajax manager.
De Jong would be an excellent acquisition for United. His quality distribution and ball control is something that the club have lacked.
He is not necessarily a tough tackler, but has superb concentration and anticipation when it comes to winning duels in the centre of the park.
Signing him would be big statement from United. The midfielder could seamlessly adapt to Ten Hag’s tactical system unlike other signings.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest