Manchester United are very attentive to the situation of Atletico Madrid forward Joao Felix ahead of the January transfer window, Mundo Deportivo claim (today’s edition, page 17).
The Red Devils recently terminated the contract of Cristiano Ronaldo by mutual agreement, and manager Erik ten Hag is said to be keen on landing a new striker next month.
The priority could be on signing a marquee target over a stop-gap option and Felix is one of the players that has been regularly linked with the club in the past few weeks.
It is now reported by Mundo Deportivo that the Premier League are the most likely destination for the Portuguese and United are ‘very attentive’ over the developments.
Felix’s agent Jorge Mendes has been in contact with Atletico over a possible transfer. The club are open to selling their prized asset for a fee in excess of €100 million (£86m).
United set to spend big on marquee forward
United currently have Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial as the specialist strikers, but the latter has made just seven appearances this term, having suffered three injuries.
With Martial’s fitness being unreliable, United must spend on a new centre-forward. PSV star Cody Gakpo has been on the radar of United for some time, and he could be available for £52-56 million.
The Netherlands international has been a regular on the left wing for PSV but has played up front for his country. He is said to be keen on becoming a genuine striker if he joins United next year.
In comparison, Felix is more accomplished in the number nine role but his form has been inconsistent. The Portuguese has not lived up to the high expectations since his switch to Atletico.
The 23-year-old still has plenty of potential in him and could excel at United, but the big question is whether the hierarchy are willing to pay over £86m for a player, who has much to prove.
In our opinion, Gakpo should be a straightforward choice over Felix. The Dutchman has made a stunning 30 goal contributions for PSV this season compared to Felix’s seven for Diego Simeone’s side.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest