Site News

Man Utd v Wigan

Will be a very short preview this. I think a lot has already been said post-Burnley that all we can hope for is a response from the side. We travel to Wigan who under Roberto Martinez are committed towards playing a positive, attacking brand of football. On the plus side, it means we should find more space when we have possession. However, a depleted defence could be under severe pressure if Martinez’s tactics work.

Speaking of which, Rio Ferdinand will now be out for a month. This is a worrying trend. Ferdinand from the second half last season was stricken with a lot of niggling injuries, be it his back or groin and I am a bit more worried about his increased propensity at picking up these injuries. Jonny Evans also spoke about the likelihood of undergoing surgery on a troublesome ankle, which means we will be without our main centre backs. However, for now, Vidic will return and Evans will play through the pain. Brown is also thereabouts and O’Shea floats in and about.

I would like Richie de Laet to get a start at right back with Vida and Evans in the centre. Evra would take his customary left back berth. Carrick and Fletcher will play in midfield, with Valencia on one wing and if Nani is fit he’ll be on the other. Up front it will once again be Berbatov and Rooney. Ferguson admitted that his strikers haven’t been upto much and they need to step it up.

I will end this preview here.

Prediction: 2-0 to United.

24 August 2009 at 08:24

@Grognard: There’s no PROOF that he punched him, and it looked very innocous. Also you need to stop calling people hypocrites, and put your own house in order if you want to talk hypocrites. Because you change your mind mate as much as you change your socks – no doubt!

24 August 2009 at 08:29

@Grognard: I think it is better if I do ignore your posts from henceforth Grog, that way there won’t be any more petty disputes. Feel free to ignore mine, some people just don’t need to get into debate when they are always at odds with each other it seems. That way everyone else gets a bit of peace on the blog!

24 August 2009 at 08:38

@Redrich: Quote – “So instead of loosing it, SAF is actually getting BETTER.” There’s a turn up for the books RedRich? Thanks for showing those stats mate 😀 .

24 August 2009 at 08:47

@colver: I agree mate – Man City have played two games, scored an early goal in each and were extremely luck to hold on to win. Blackburn battered their goal, but City GK is excellent I have to say, nevertheless, B’Burn were very unfortunate. Wolves hit the City bar twice, and City were very looked AGAIN not to concede. I am not impressed with what I have seen thus far, but let us see if there boasts, can be backed up with actual facts end of season. Maybe, and maybe NOT!

24 August 2009 at 09:01

@Redrich: 😆 😆 😆 😆 , too true mate, too true 👿 .

6. AndyCR7

24 August 2009 at 09:03

hey does anybody know when the next season of IOSS/Special1 TV is starting?

7. spizzy

24 August 2009 at 09:09

@Grognard:
    He gave an incredible performance mate,And if he keeps up that performance then I’ll have no problem with him. Arsenal are next and they will definitely be more of a challenge than wigan, and he should be properly tested by the gunners so Saturday should really tell us what sort of keeper he is. And I’m not easily swayed, I’m just pragmatic and able to change my view if new facts come to light. I’m not saying he’s there yet I’m just saying he gave a good account of himself, why is that you could pat him on his back but when I do it I’m getting swayed?

24 August 2009 at 09:14

@Redrich: @Grognard: I agree with your assessment on Inglourious Basterds. I loved Pulp Fiction too, but my problem with Tarantino is his tendency to over-indulge at times. At times it feels like he’s making movies for his buddies (Robert Rodriguez, Eli Roth, Rob Zombie etc) so that they can hang out with a beer and joke about the inside jokes he’s inserted into his movie that no one else will understand.

He is scarily creative, of that there is no doubt, and he just loves movies so much that his movies end up being a gallery of homages to all the stuff he’s seen.

Tarantino’s movies are enjoyable for the dialogues, the wit, specific scenes. My favourites have been Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. Kill Bill was fun in parts, I don’t really have a problem with gratuitous violence if treated well (humourously), but sometimes he could get caught up with his dialogues far too much for my liking.

I loved Inglourious Basterds though. Personally I’m not a big Brad Pitt fan – although I liked him in Snatch. He was good in Inglourious too. Di Caprio has grown as an actor, but excels when Scorsese directs him. (He was pretty good in Blood Diamond too.)

Anyway, too much movie talk… sorry got carried away. 😀

9. Stephen

24 August 2009 at 09:15

@Grognard: Likewise. 😉

24 August 2009 at 09:27

@Stephen: Bro were you among the boisterous rocking brigade on the terraces at Wigan? What a spirit on those terraces, from Wigan fans too, I have to say 🙂 . Now the moment of truth against Arsenal eh?

24 August 2009 at 09:29

@Red Ranter: Is this a United blog RR, or a movie discussion one ? 😉 .

12. Stephen

24 August 2009 at 09:32

@Craig Mc: I was there mate, I havn’t been away for a while and I have to say going to watch United away is a lot better than at home at the moment, you get the genuine old school hardcore supporters but in a good way.
    Wigan fans are all right, but they only started to boo Valencia in the second half which was odd, am also going next Saturday too, can’t wait I must say I love the Emirates Stadium, it is superb.

24 August 2009 at 09:32

Bring back Elliot, the only guy I can think of so far, who has managed to keep a thread mostly ON TOPIC 😉 😆 .

24 August 2009 at 09:38

@Stephen: They startedto boo Valencia, after the incident in the 2nd half, when Valencia couldn’t beat his man, and after only being slightly tapped by Wigan defender, Valencia went down like he had been slugged 😆 , Holding his face, and to be honest after what SAF has said about players cheating, feigning injury, he should give Valencia a bolloxing, because he was doing just that. SAF must back his words with actions where our own players are concerned!

15. Stephen

24 August 2009 at 09:42

@Craig Mc: I agree I hate diving, feigning injury more than anything in football that and imaginary cards are the worst things in the game.

24 August 2009 at 09:58

@Stephen: Yeah I just don’t get it Stephen, GROWN MEN acting like PONCES doing a BET DAVIS all over the pitch – what big girls blouses they are – embarrasing prats 😆 . I love talking to you in Manc language Stephen, the foreigners on here won’t understand, Ponce, Bet Davis or big girls blouse probably 😆 😆 😆 . Then again they might shock me with their Manc knowledge 😎 .

24 August 2009 at 10:02

Stephen the very worst though are those Chelsea bastard cheats, who are so accomplished at cheating, they do it surrepticiously, and behind the refs backs etc. Won’t mention names, but we all know who they are!

18. Stephen

24 August 2009 at 10:04

@Craig Mc: 😆 😆 😆

19. Stephen

24 August 2009 at 10:22

@Craig Mc: I agree Chelsea are cheats, they also bully referees constantly but seem to get away with it, as you say we who the culprits are.

20. godzilla

24 August 2009 at 10:28

Tevez at it again!! This guy is still pissed off with Fergie. i think given a chance he will stab SAF or something during our match! really…when he moved, for awhile i felt that maybe he wasnt treated right but looking back now the asshole had the option of fighting for his place at United, something i WOULD love to see him do at City shortly and then see how he handles his big ego

21. Stephen

24 August 2009 at 10:32

@godzilla: He has an over inflated opinion of his ability which is misguided and delusional, but that is understandable as he now plays for City.

24 August 2009 at 10:38

@Craig Mc: I’m familiar with “ponce” and “big girl blouses”. Although, not Bet Davis. 🙂 Kindly care to enlighten us. If you don’t we’ll Google it anyway. 😆

24 August 2009 at 10:41

@Craig Mc: Sorry mate. We do tend to fall prey to our indulgences at times. New post up btw.

24 August 2009 at 11:05

@Red Ranter: 😆 😆 😆 , Bet Davis was a very great American Super Star of Olden days – Renowned for her DRAMATIC roles. Hence when we say that a player did a Bet Davis, we mean that they put on a dramatic performance MORE WORTHY of movie greats 😀 . In the case of the PLAYACTORS and cheats on the football field, this is NOT a complimentary thing to be called 👿 🙂 .

24 August 2009 at 11:34

@Craig Mc: Ah! You mean Bette Davis. Of course! 😆

24 August 2009 at 18:35

@Craig Mc: Did I expect you to take ownership of that? Of course not. You never see your faults, only mine. I know my faults mate and they are many, but hypocrisy is not one of them. Vidic clearly through an intentional elbow which you so conveniently seem to blink and miss. Meanwhile you judged and sent Ballack to hell for a minor misdemeanor of a foul while calling him every name in the book. Tell me, is there another word I could use to describe your comments? I don’t think so. Just man up and take it like one once in a while and admit you are wrong. I have numerous times but you probably just conveniently forgot all those times. Honestly bro, I like you and all, but you do frustrate me sometimes with your double standards.

24 August 2009 at 18:43

@Craig Mc: What the Hell is your problem with me? You and I have gotten along and had a good many laughs over the past two years and now all of a sudden I am in your doghouse? Like I said earlier, ever since you heard you were going to be a dad, you have changed in many ways. Most good I’m sure but your intolerance for me and some others I find very upsetting and very disturbing. But you know what. As much as I care, I don’t, and I’ll tell you why. I promised to grow a thick skin and I am. You don’t know me and i don;’t know squat about you really. So if I am supposed to let you get me allupset and disturbed because you don’t want to be my online buddy, well, that’s not going to happen. Clearly you don’t much care for what I have to say anymore anyway so if you want to ignore my comments, that’s fine. I on the other hand will continue to comment and if you say something that I like or dislike, I will comment on it. If you choose to ignore me, I will respect that and learn to live with it. But let me finally say Craig, it’s fucking cold and mean spirited and that’s that. Perhaps you need to learn to take criticism as well as you dish it out before you condemn someone else to your personal gallows. I’m saddened by your indifference tome but I will go on because my existence on this blog does not depend on you. But remember who was the loudest voice on the blog asking you to come back when you tucked your tail between your legs and left for a bit. I’d call that admiration and respect for you because I cared. Too bad you haven’t got it in you to show the same to me. 🙄 🙁

24 August 2009 at 18:46

@Stephen: That’s fine mate, but you’re wrong nevertheless. 😉 😀

24 August 2009 at 18:47

@Craig Mc: This is a community that talks about anything. We often talk about things other than footy with you too mate. Remember? It’s just a case of not letting it go on for too long.

30. Stephen

24 August 2009 at 18:49

@Grognard: My opinion may well be overrated but it is mine none the less.

24 August 2009 at 20:04

@Stephen: Yes it is mate, but it’s still wrong. 😉 😀

32. Stephen

24 August 2009 at 20:24

@Grognard: You are getting to sound like a stuck record mate.

25 August 2009 at 02:56

@Stephen: Yes I am. Stuck on I’m right, I’m right I’m right I’m right……. 😀

Just having some fun with you mate. 🙂

34. Stephen