Will be a very short preview this. I think a lot has already been said post-Burnley that all we can hope for is a response from the side. We travel to Wigan who under Roberto Martinez are committed towards playing a positive, attacking brand of football. On the plus side, it means we should find more space when we have possession. However, a depleted defence could be under severe pressure if Martinez’s tactics work.
Speaking of which, Rio Ferdinand will now be out for a month. This is a worrying trend. Ferdinand from the second half last season was stricken with a lot of niggling injuries, be it his back or groin and I am a bit more worried about his increased propensity at picking up these injuries. Jonny Evans also spoke about the likelihood of undergoing surgery on a troublesome ankle, which means we will be without our main centre backs. However, for now, Vidic will return and Evans will play through the pain. Brown is also thereabouts and O’Shea floats in and about.
I would like Richie de Laet to get a start at right back with Vida and Evans in the centre. Evra would take his customary left back berth. Carrick and Fletcher will play in midfield, with Valencia on one wing and if Nani is fit he’ll be on the other. Up front it will once again be Berbatov and Rooney. Ferguson admitted that his strikers haven’t been upto much and they need to step it up.
I will end this preview here.
Prediction: 2-0 to United.
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities
- PSV Eindhoven interested in signing Man Utd forward Anthony Elanga
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Reading, Garnacho and Pellistri start
- “I’m not Harry Potter” – Erik ten Hag outlines real reasons for Marcus Rashford’s resurgence
- Anthony Elanga and Facundo Pellistri to stay at Manchester United
- Denzel Dumfries’ agent pushing Man Utd to finalise summer transfer
- How Man Utd could sign Everton wonderkid this summer
- Man Utd can sign RB Leipzig star Dani Olmo for €70m this summer
- Manchester United vs Reading: FA Cup preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Erik ten Hag confirms fresh Man Utd concern ahead of Reading clash