Will be a very short preview this. I think a lot has already been said post-Burnley that all we can hope for is a response from the side. We travel to Wigan who under Roberto Martinez are committed towards playing a positive, attacking brand of football. On the plus side, it means we should find more space when we have possession. However, a depleted defence could be under severe pressure if Martinez’s tactics work.
Speaking of which, Rio Ferdinand will now be out for a month. This is a worrying trend. Ferdinand from the second half last season was stricken with a lot of niggling injuries, be it his back or groin and I am a bit more worried about his increased propensity at picking up these injuries. Jonny Evans also spoke about the likelihood of undergoing surgery on a troublesome ankle, which means we will be without our main centre backs. However, for now, Vidic will return and Evans will play through the pain. Brown is also thereabouts and O’Shea floats in and about.
I would like Richie de Laet to get a start at right back with Vida and Evans in the centre. Evra would take his customary left back berth. Carrick and Fletcher will play in midfield, with Valencia on one wing and if Nani is fit he’ll be on the other. Up front it will once again be Berbatov and Rooney. Ferguson admitted that his strikers haven’t been upto much and they need to step it up.
I will end this preview here.
Prediction: 2-0 to United.
- Man Utd want to sign three Ajax players but may land just one
- Man Utd very close to signing Frenkie de Jong, transfer likely by June 30
- Man Utd can sign Goncalo Inacio with offer close to release clause
- Man Utd need to offer €10m more as fixed fee to sign Frenkie de Jong
- Gary Neville hits out after Man Utd pay out dividends to shareholders
- Cristiano Ronaldo was offered to Bayern Munich by Jorge Mendes
- Man Utd have made an offer for Leeds star Raphinha
- David Ornstein fancies Christian Eriksen to end up at Man Utd
- Man Utd in pole position to sign Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd interested in Inter Milan defender Stefan de Vrij