Man Utd v Chelsea: Community Shield Preview

The summer has whizzed past us, like it always does. Today we have the glorified friendly, the Community Shield. In my mind I haven’t looked at it beyond what it is; a friendly and perhaps an opportunity for fans to grasp at the slim straw of bragging rights going into the season.

Most of you, I’m sure, would recall the shit-hurling contest last year; a nil-nil draw leading to a penalty-shootout and everyone, save for Tevez, were sauntering along trying to feign excitement at the winning goal. Those images are still firmly etched in my mind — don’t ask me why, even I don’t know the answer to that. But it says a lot about how this friendly is viewed by the players. I think.

Ferguson will look to test waters with possibly our first XI — at least for the first half — before he pulls out a couple in view of the most ridiculously timed international friendly in the whole wide universe and of all time. Maybe even before time.

With Brown still recovering from a knock, and Vidic out for a while, it’s possible that Richie de Laet will make another appearance at right back. Rio and Evans will continue in the middle and Evra should take up his customary left back slot. In midfield, I believe Fletcher and Carrick will start, with Valencia on the right and Nani (hopefully) on the left. Up front, we’ll have Rooney and Owen. Thankfully Owen isn’t in Fabio Capello’s England squad for this Holland friendly which is — did I mention? — the most ridiculously timed international friendly in the whole wide universe and of all time.

Chelsea under Ancelotti would be interesting. I was impressed by their performances in pre-season on their US tour. But beyond that, I can’t really say much.

Predictions: I don’t care. I expect a good fluid performance from the side. That is all.

10 August 2009 at 00:32

@Grognard: You fail to see the difference Grog between STRONGLY DISAGREEING with your view on a paticular subject or player, and a personal attack. I think Red Ranter can go back thru the comments, and if he finds a PERSONAL ATTACK ON YOU, rather than a personal attack on your views on things/players, then he will deal with it as he always does – in fairness. I cannot see there is anything though to confirm what you deem personal attack. But maybe RR might discover something different – I doubt it though! Not everbody is going to love who we love, no matter how much we want them too, and I have long since had to accept that not everyone will agree on the player/players I love. BARCA do though, so I feel at least they can see what I see, and maybe there are those who would see what you see in Ballack, but perhaps you will find them on Chelsea or German blogs rather than Man United ones 😀 .

2. Footy4Eddy

10 August 2009 at 00:34

Apparantley these are the words that describe me as a human being:

– Wise and humble.
    – Inspiring character.
    – Creative bent of mind.
    – Fun to be with.
    – Loyal lover.
    – Good looker and great dresser.
    – Confident.
    – Center of attention in a crowd.
    – Love the finer things of life.
    – Caring.

😎

10 August 2009 at 00:35

@NicoQB: No calling me pathetic and a total idiot because I supposedly never felt Ballack was wrong is what gets me. I do feel he was wrong and I couldn’t care less what all of you think of him. I do care that you would feel I would blindly be loyal to a player who wronged us and then go on as if nothing happened. To honestly mock me and treat me, a United fan like that was disrespectful and did honor my honesty and commitment to the team. I was also pissed off with everyone constantly bitching at me for my views in a personal manner. I don’t like being censored or being told what I can or cannot say because it’s not the popular choice.

4. Footy4Eddy

10 August 2009 at 00:35

@Craig Mc: Well spoken. 😀

5. Footy4Eddy

10 August 2009 at 00:38

@Grognard: “For fucks sake, standing up for Ballack today is just pathetic. No more than that!”

If its that sentance you feel so pissed about, then sorry. But I really think that saying Ballack did nothing wrong today is biased… Winning mentality is one thing, being a cheap cunt is another. 🙄

10 August 2009 at 00:45

@Grognard: You are so fucking OTT Grog. Read the fucking posts instead of getting so pissed. I was asking who if anybody was responsible for fouling Nani and causing his shoulder injury. I ACCEPTED FULLY from Eddi and Dans explanation that it was not Ballack but an unlawful tackle from behind by John Terry. I asked if it was accidental, and accepted when Dan said it was the way Nani fell heavily that did his shoulder. Now I didn’t judge until I knew the fact, because as I explained I was called away to a phone call, and didn’t see the incident. So I fail to see what your problem is Grog, apart from the fact you deliberately like to MISREAD what people are genuineally trying to find out about what happened. I feel quite comfortable that I didn’t misjudge Ballack in the case of Nani – but you seem to have an issue with that. I feel comfortable that no personal attack was involved, so don’t try and make it one. Dan & Eddi explained the situation perfectly, and I accepted it. THe fact is though, I still think that Ballck is a twat and a cheat, and you need to accept that, as I have come to accept the Nani detractors out there. One mans meat etc eh Grog!

10 August 2009 at 00:47

@Redrich: Again mate I will say this for the umpteenth time. I am not mad about people disagreeing with my views. Disagree all they want. Knock themselves in fact. What I don’t appreciate is the personal jibes like I am pathetic and I am negative and I should take a chill pill etc etc. I do not like people telling me that I can’t hold those views because they are not popular. I don’t care if they debate me on them and make a case but that’s not what’s happening here. Instead, I just get told off ot insulted for who I am and for what I believe. I honestly don’t need that bullshit. I am dealing with a world of hurt at this moment and I do not need a bunch insensitive assholes bringing me down solely by disrespecting my right to give my views whether popular or unpopular. I try to respect everyone’s views even if I disagree with them. I try not to insult them unless they insult me first, and even that is a defense mechanism I’m not proud of.

I have what I feel are seemingly strong relationships with some on this site and those who I count on to back me only mock me and couldn’t care less meanwhile I can count the many times I have backed some on here when they were getting abused by others or in trouble with RR. I’m sick of it and I’m just not cut out for the impersonal and cold element of what is the Internet. Like you, I come from a different generation and one where we were taught more tolerance and more respect for others, despite our views. It saddens me that every time I get upset I am mocked and made fun of for having some kind of meltdown.

I am calm and very composed as I write this but I’m just too honest and too articulate for some and above all, I am too honest and too passionate about the subject of Manchester United for a bunch of cult followers who do not nor are willing to hear my views if they are not part of the general consensus. And to that I say, fucking hell. 🙁 🙄 It’s been good debating with you. I need a long break from this site as it no longer is fun for me and too be honest, Fergie has fucked up this team but good and I am no longer even enjoy watching that that team and their stubborn, cheap ways of going about their business. I think I’ll keep my passion under control and keep it to myself for a while. Craig got fed up a month ago and left, now it’s my turn. I may return, I may not. Somehow I don’t think anybody gives a fart anyway. Cheers mate.

10 August 2009 at 00:49

@Anthony Los: IT’S NOT ABOUT BALLACK. Please I am not that immature to go all postal over people not liking ballack. Jeez! Nobody gets it. 🙄

10 August 2009 at 00:52

@Grognard: One DIRTY MOVE BY BALLACK – Grog just like me with Nani, you are fecking blind and nonsensical when it comes to thug and dirty bastard twat Ballack. United fans are GOING to support United players, against all the Ballacks, Terry’s and other Chelsea cheating bastards of this world!

10 August 2009 at 00:56

@Craig Mc: So blame the ref. If a player gets away with murder I don’t get mad at the player, I get mad at the ref for being blind. Going after Ballack next time? HA! HA! HA! 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 Which one of our brave goons are you going to sick on him? The Ninja Assassin Scholes or is he going to get his sausage skinned by Evra? How about sicking Park on him by having him dive at him since that is his forte? Or do we get really cynical and send our goons Giggsy and Berbatov after him so they can lull him into a coma?
    Our team has no physicality or grit. We are pussies and we are soft and big physical teams have their way with us because we have no enforcers to take the law into their hands. Thus we bitch about the offending player and the ref because all we have is Fergie’s big mouth and a future suspension coming. The day we lost Keane and the fact we have never replaced him has haunted this team for 5 years now. So blame Ballack all you want. I would prefer to blame the Scot in charge of the club who has gone as soft as his team of late. 🙄

10 August 2009 at 01:00

@Craig Mc: Coming from you, that is rich mate, truly. 🙄 When I think of how many times I have defended your mean as Hell and nasty tirades in defending Nani? You have got to be kidding. 😆 😆 And I am not mad about Ballack, not in the least. You don’t get it so join the rest of the group of insensitive Internet types who have no concept about their accusations and words can hurt somebody.

10 August 2009 at 01:02

@Footy4Eddy: Basically you don’t think much higher of Grognard either. Just rubbing more salt in my already gaping wounds. Notice how I am keeping Anderson out of this out of respect. 🙄

10 August 2009 at 01:02

@Grognard: Grog I couldn’t give a fuck anymore to be honest. At the end of the day I am a United fan, and I believe we walloped those Chelsea bastards in the 1st half, and we fought like tigers for the FULLY DESERVED equalising goal. I don;t give a fuck mate if you want to put Chelsea as superior to us today in this game, but I believe you are wrong. That is just my opinion, and the opinion of many a Unitec fan who watched the game today. We had the measure of those fuckers, and only Chelsea favouring refereeing decisions robbed us of a deserved victory in ordinary time. I would agree that the PK were shite personified. But if you expect me to say that Chelski were so far better than our lads today, then I have no problem in telling you that you have Blue tinted spectacles instead of red ones. Anyway, only end of season will tell won’t it. I have every confidence that with fair refereeing, we will fucking trounce those Chelsea cheating fuckers!

14. Footy4Eddy

10 August 2009 at 01:04

@Grognard: For Fucks Sake mate, what the hell are you trying to accomplish from this!? You know pretty well yourself that you are very much respected on this blog, and we all like to hear your views. Sometimes we disagree with it, sometimes we agree. And stop this “personal-jibe” shit, if I had gotten a penny for each time somebody had told me I am a blind fuck with my head stuck up my ass concerning United I would have been rih right now! We all get bashed, and you gotta live with it you too. I expect none of us to get special treatment here, thats just wrong. But even so, you know that your view is highly regarded here. We all wanna know what you think, and you do think a lot. But when you come with somethign most of us feel is a stupid or pathetic statement, you should expect to hear it. Its not you we are directing it too, but your point of view. Get it? 🙄 So stop bitching about, cause you are not going to get anywhere with this. Leave, thats fine. We are going to miss you but my God am I going to wake up tomorrow and live my life to the full. It will feel like I have missed a persoon that means a lot to me, but I will not cry a river or change my opinion or personality. In real life and on this blog. We all act exactly as we do, and I dont want special treatment. If Ive got a pathetic view(Andy being coming Ballon dOr winner), I expect to hear it. I shrug it off, and live with it… Simple as, I dont moan about somebody calling me pathetic because they dont see it my way.

So stop fucking around cause you arent getting anywhere. Nobody has come out to say you are an idiot who has stuck his head up his ass and called you anything particularily bad. Thats why no-one has stood up for you yet, because nobody understand what the fuck you are talking about with “personal attacks”!

10 August 2009 at 01:07

@Craig Mc: There is nothing to deal with. I’m gone. I am sick of my views being attacked simply on the basis that they are different, controversial and unpopular. Disagreeing with them does not bother me for the umpteenth time. Disagreeing with me for voicing them is another matter. The fact you cannot get this is what frustrates me so much because you are not alone. It’s like telling me I am a fucking cunt because I am mad at Fergie. None of you are sticking up for Fergie and telling me I am wrong because this reason and that. Instead some take exception that I had the unmitigated nerve to make the comment in the first place and that I should know my role and watch what I say. Or that I am a sick and pathetic loser because I am not in agreement. If you can’t see the difference, then I can’t help you mate. Cheers and good luck with fatherhood. 😀

16. Footy4Eddy

10 August 2009 at 01:08

@Grognard: Okey… Ehh… Mate? Can you please enlighten me and tell me what was wrong with that comment? 😕 Cause as I see it that was defo not meant as an insult towards you, rather the other way around…

10 August 2009 at 01:10

@Grognard: If you believe that all people one here have to do is focus on stirring you up = let me tell you, that we have better fucking things to do with our time. I couldn’t give a shit about stirring you up, but I will not refuse to say when my team did well, and fought well, even if it did disagree with your opinion. You need to GET OVER YOUR FUCKING SELF GROG. We are talking Man Utd, not Grog or Craig. We don’t matter a fig, BUT MY CLUB the great Man United do. I couldn’t give a shit about your beloved Ballack, I hate the fucker, because he only wins by cheating, or as you care to explain it professional fouls. He is an habitual professional fouler, or as Man Utd fans would call him, an habitual CHEATING BASTARD!

10 August 2009 at 01:12

@Footy4Eddy: I am not pathetic mate. Remember that. And nothing i have to say on this blog should ever be considered pathetic. I don’t like it and I don’t appreciate it. Imagine your coach stopping you in the middle of a game and walking up to you and telling you that you, and your playing is pathetic? I bet you would reexamine the word and it’s meaning

DEF;

1. Arousing or capable of arousing scornful pity
    2. distressingly inadequate

Tell me if you like being told you are pathetic now?

10 August 2009 at 01:16

@Craig Mc: FOR FUCK SAKES! I don’t give a fuck about Ballack. And you accuse me of not reading posts? What part of it’s not about Ballack don’t you get. Fine he was a dirty cheat. I get it. And he didn’t get caught. I get that too. So why not be as pissed of about Foy? Rupture a spleen over Ballack, I really don’t care. He can defend himself, I certainly have no reason to defend him. Today I am defending myself. 🙄

10 August 2009 at 01:17

@Craig Mc: And the bottom line mate is if the show was on the other foot, I’d give a fuck if it was about you. And perhaps that is why it hurts. 🙄

10 August 2009 at 01:18

@Footy4Eddy: Tring to piss me off even more by insinuating that I am being a silly cunt isn’t helping. Never be a guidance councilor See ya.

22. Footy4Eddy

10 August 2009 at 01:18

@Grognard: If I deserve to be called pathetic, I will take it. I live wth it, cause guess what? WORDS DONT HURT ME! I shrug it off, and live with it. Ive been called lots of shit things in my life, but who the fuck cares cause at the end of the day I will be the same person and I will still have the same views. Call me stubborn, but I dont give a shit about what people call me… I usually joke it off more often than not, and let it be. Its not nececarry to make a big deal out of it…

Call me pathetic, Ive been called it before. Will I cry? No. Will I look at life in a different manner? No. Will I honestly give a shit? No. Because if another person feels Im fucked up or my view is pathetic, then okey! Cant change it, dont feel like it either… Just live with it! 🙂

10 August 2009 at 01:19

@Grognard: Grog it is not me that needs help mate. You cannot abide when folk don’t see things from your viewpoint. You immediately call it a personal attack. When people have come heavily against Nani, I have fought for Nani, but I have NEVER accused people of having personal vendettas against me. FFS Grog, I don’t like people not seeing Lil Man as I see him, and lambasting him, but I realise that they are entitled, even though I have MAULED THEM FEROCIUOSLY , and had to apologise to them. I never felt they were personally mauling me though 🙄 . Its just different opinions mate. Anyway, my baby according to latest scans is a wee girl, so I will not be able to mould her as I would a son 😆 . Still when she arrives, I will dress her in RED and not pink, and certainly not black and white as the GF and her family would love. She will be a wee lady in Red!

10 August 2009 at 01:22

@Craig Mc: People need to learn to show a little respect and little more politeness to a fellow fan who may or may not agree with them. I am not a fan of rude antisocial conversations. And i am not going to apologize for feeling hurt. Why the Hell should i be on the defensive because I am the one royally pissed off. I don’t have to have the world revolve around me but at the end of the day I like to be treated the way I feel I treat people, which is with respect.

25. Footy4Eddy

10 August 2009 at 01:25

@Grognard: Where the fuck did I call you a silly cunt?! Im not trying to piss you off, Im trying to make you see sence. Take is as you wish, but you know my views about you and what you are saying right now is making nonsense! Im not trying to turn you against me, I just want you to stop being so sensitive about it. Jeez…

10 August 2009 at 01:29

@Footy4Eddy: Well hurray for you. You are so desensitized that words don’t hurt you. Just a part of this wonderful antisocial and rude generation I guess. I don’t share your generations views or style mate. I am three times your age and i have been around and I was also brought up to treat people whether in person, on the phone or any other way with politeness and respect. At the end of the day my views are about fucking football, not whether your taxes are going up or if the Government is cutting your parents pensions. So receiving the wrath and hatred that I get just for voicing my football views kind of makes me wonder why some people seem so fucking angry, yet I am the one who is called negative. What really is negative is others trying to tell me not to think in a certain way and telling me how to think. You aren’t even twenty mate so don’t try expounding wisdom and experience on me. It’s not your place. Sorry but I am being honest. If that makes me “PATHETIC”, well maybe I am.

27. Footy4Eddy

10 August 2009 at 01:29

Im seriously starting to wonder if this is the real Grognard… 😕 Because if he is, Im worried about what the fuck has happend to make him this way. Damn… 😐

Its late, gotta sleep. See you guys tomorrow, and hope this shit is over by then. 🙄

10 August 2009 at 01:30

@Footy4Eddy: Mocking me to the very end. 🙄 🙄 🙄 Jeez!

10 August 2009 at 01:31

@Grognard: Mate if your truly going then just fucking go. Nobody wants you to, and nobody is telling you too, but if you want to post your rasnts, and people want to totally disagree with you, that isn’t PERSONAL attack, it is just different viewpoint. You believe our team were pussy’s and shite today, that Chelsea were so fucking superior, but some others on here dont agree with that sentiment. We saw it differently, yet you want to call us Fergbie arse lickers, and conservative neo whatever. All we are is United fans loving our team endeavor, and believing that they were cheated today, just as the referee cheated Chelsea in their game against Barca. They were robbed and so were we today. That’s all it is for many of us fans mate, and I am NEVER going to agree otherwise, whether it is you, or who the fuck ever it is. Our lads played their hearts out today, and if that isn;t good enough for you, and you felt Chelsea so much better, then why did it necessitate a cheating, cowardly decision by the ref to gift them a win. We are Man United, and we fought valiantly today. That is my opinion, and you have yours. Our opinions disagree, so the fuck what?

10 August 2009 at 01:37

@Craig Mc: My God! Learn how to read. How many fucking times do I have to say it has nothing to do with disagreeing with my views? It’s about my right to voice those views without being put down for having them Jesus Christ I am fed up because you and others do not understand the difference between these two concepts. What I think of United’s performance is not the issue here. It’s telling me that i cannot hold those opinions and that I am all doom and gloom and negative that offends me. Disagree with my views and give me a reason why, but personal attacks on my personality and my right to hold alternate views is what has me upset. And an hour after I basically said goodbye to you all I am still here trying to still explain and still define my feelings and reasons for my decision. And you still don’t get it? 🙄 🙄

10 August 2009 at 01:40

@Craig Mc: No you just called them names and virtually got into a verbal fist fight with them. And still, I defended you because I understood your passion and your frustration. It’s a shame you cannot show me the same courtesy, but then again maybe it’s not in you eh bro?

When you continually misunderstand my reason for being pissed off by continually assuming it’s because I am mad that people don’t agree with my views, well then i give up trying to make you understand because clearly you don’t. So I’ll say goodbye to all of you and wish all of you good luck and good health. Cheers.

10 August 2009 at 01:43

@Footy4Eddy: You didn’t. I was making an example of what people were thinking based on their replies to me.

10 August 2009 at 01:43

I need a fucking vacation.

10 August 2009 at 01:57

@Grognard: Listen mate, this is an online community. Nobody knows nobody, this is life lite. What you say to me or what I say to you is an exchange of views. Nothing more and nothing less!
    If I piss you off or if you insult me, we can exchange un-pleasantries, but it’s not a social tort at all, after all we don’t even know one another, do we??

If you have to go away for a while, I suggest you grow a thicker skin about all this, because this… is not gonna change!! 🙂 🙂

10 August 2009 at 05:17

Wow! I go away deciding to unpack some residual stuff, and then head over to a friends place and guess what I see — well, less said the better.

Let me just put in a word of advice — you all must remember that in post match everyone says many things in the heat of the moment. And trying to overanalyze or get overworked over someone’s comments unless it was a blatant personal attack is not going to help.

This is the online world, so yes, people can get impersonal and behave in a way that not necessarily translates into real life. One needs to grow a much thicker skin here, unless there has been blatant personal attacks, and not equate every single comment that tells someone to think differently as an attack on their freedoms. Most of those remarks, based on context, are flippant and mean nothing.

Anyway, this is a really stupid debate, and I’m tired with my exertions during the day and don’t want to get into this shite again. Almost everyone involved in this have been regulars, who should know better.

And this is just the pre-season. I’ll tell you something, based on today’s performance I foresee far more worked up arguments here for the rest of the season, so I am not going to waste my energy on this today.