Carlos Tevez, Manucho, Ben Foster are some of the names expected to feature in the team sheet today. I am looking forward particularly to the Angolan forward making an impression. Without doubt, Fergie will look to Danny Welbeck too, as he looks at this competition for blooding in more of his ‘kids’.
Whilst the Carling Cup may have been a figure of ridicule by fans all round — particularly among those from the big four — it has been an extremely important competition for the young guns in the side looking to get quality matches in a relatively lower pressure environment. Wenger has used the competition to help blood his kids, while Fergie hasn’t hesitated in throwing in some good prospects himself.
With Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, all out of the cup, it gives us a very good chance of grabbing our first silverware of the season.
In team lineups, I would want Evans partnering Vidic at the centre, with Evra on the left and Rafael on the right. Tevez should partner Manucho whilst the midfield should be composed of Nani, Possebon, Anderson and, perhaps, Cleverley.
Blackburn will be relatively full strength and will go at us from the whistle. Meanwhile, Scholes could make a return today according to the website. I hope Fergie introduces him later on in the game than start him. I really want to see a Brazilian/Portuguese flavoured United start today (Manucho, Anderson, Possebon, Nani, Rafael) so Scholes coming off the bench after the 70″ would suit me just fine.
Prediction: 2-1 to United.
Also vote for us in the 2008 Soccerlens Awards
- Man Utd really like Juventus star Gleison Bremer, will cost at least €70m
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe finally completes purchase of minority stake in Manchester United
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe
- Manchester United won’t pay £20m for Newcastle director Dan Ashworth