Manchester United are only sixth in the Premier League for goals despite sitting third in the table this season, so Erik ten Hag is expected to bolster the attack this summer.
United need a fit, prolific striker as Wout Weghorst has scored just two goals in 16 games since signing on loan, while Anthony Martial has spent most of the season out with injury.
Despite their need for attacking reinforcements, why are Pianeta Milan linking them with Rafael Leao?
The 23-year-old is a right-footed left-winger who scores and creates goals equally for AC Milan, but Ten Hag already has Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Alejandro Garnacho who can operate in his role.
Antony, Anthony Elanga and Facundo Pellistri are options on the opposite flank, so United have great depth, particularly with Amad and Shola Shoretire returning from loan spells this summer.
That’s not to say Leao isn’t a talented player, with 36 goals and 31 assists from 148 games since joining the Rossoneri from LOSC Lille, but he isn’t what Ten Hag needs.
And with Calciomercato saying in December that Leao had an asking price of €80 million (£70.5m), the Portuguese international wouldn’t come cheap either.
Pianeta Milan say Chelsea, Manchester City, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain are among the clubs interested in the Milan forward, but it remains to be seen if any of those suitors make a move.
Leao has bagged nine goals and ten assists from 33 games across the board this season, so he’s putting himself in the shop window.
With a year remaining on his deal at the San Siro, Milan may have to cash in early while he still has value rather than risk losing the 23-year-old on a free transfer in 2024.
That said, United won’t be leading the race for his signature unless existing players leave.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books
- ‘High hopes’: Lionel Scaloni speaks about Alejandro Garnacho’s future with Argentina