Manchester United are likely to fail in their pursuit of Chelsea target Benoit Badiashile next month.
The 21-year-old was a top target for the Red Devils two years ago, but he turned down their transfer interest in order to further his development at Monaco.
It is now reported by Foot Mercato that Chelsea have made a €40 million bid to sign him in January and United could enter the race due to their long-term interest.
Badiashile would add more quality and depth in United’s defence but in our opinion, we don’t see them succeeding in signing him ahead of the Blues next month.
Why Man Utd won’t sign Badiashile this winter
Badiashile was considered as a top target under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in 2020. The Red Devils wanted to sign a left-footed centre-back but were unsuccessful in the end.
United finally found the solution last summer with Lisandro Martinez. The Argentine arrived with a big reputation from Ajax and he has now cemented a starting spot.
The 24-year-old has been almost ever-present from the left centre-back position and he appears unlikely to be displaced anytime soon, having stood out in every game.
If United were to sign Badiashile, he may have to play second fiddle to the World Cup winner. The big question is whether he would leave Monaco to sit on the bench at United.
On the contrary, he could be a regular starter at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea played with a back three under Thomas Tuchel and Graham Potter has preferred to use the same set-up.
With the likes of Kalidou Koulibaly and Marc Cucurella failing to impress from the left side of central defence, Badiashile could be ushered straight into the starting line-up.
In our view, United’s chances of landing Badiashile ahead of Chelsea are very slim. Unless he is guaranteed regular minutes, the Frenchman may prefer to join the Blues.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books