Manchester United are unhappy with Chelsea amid the prolonged negotiations to sign midfielder Mason Mount this summer, Manchester Evening News report.
The Red Devils have been in constant talks with the Blues for the 24-year-old, but they are yet to convince the west London club to sanction his departure.
United have already failed with three bids of £40 million, £50m and £55m for the Englishman. Chelsea are currently holding out for £65m including add-ons.
It is now reported that football director John Murtough has taken a dim view to Chelsea ‘communicating United’s bids through the club’s dedicated correspondents in London’.
Murtough’s hands are tied with the limited transfer budget, and United believe that the Blues are overvaluing Mount with just a year left on his contract.
While Mount is the preferred target for manager Erik ten Hag, it is claimed that any addition would be acceptable to him if United opt against signing the Blues ace.
The Red Devils have at least four other midfield targets to turn to. Ten Hag reportedly held video calls with several players before the close of the previous season.
United could pursue Mount alternative
Mount has been earmarked as the priority target for the manager. The 24-year-old has vast Premier League experience, and would be a very good acquisition for United.
The Blues graduate can operate in the attacking and central midfield positions, but Ten Hag considers him as a potential upgrade in the number eight role with his work rate and creativity.
So far, United have failed to persuade the Blues to sanction his sale. In our opinion, the club could make a fourth and final bid, but could move on if the Blues counter their proposal.
The Red Devils could easily find a cheaper alternative abroad. Mount’s familiarity with the league is a big plus, but United can’t overspend with a pre-sales budget of only £120m.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns