Manchester United trio Luke Shaw, Marcus Rashford and Harry Maguire were hugely impressive as England registered a convincing 6-2 win over Iran in their World Cup opener.
Shaw had an exceptional 2020 European Championship campaign with Three Lions last summer and proved his big-game credentials again today with a splendid assist for Jude Bellingham’s opening goal.
The left-back now has five goal contributions in as many tournament games for Gareth Southgate’s side and will be aiming to continue his sublime form against USA on Friday, November 25.
Meanwhile, Harry Maguire also had good game on the back of suggestions that he should not make the XI. The United captain provided the assist for Bukayo Saka’s stellar first-half strike.
He could have done better to prevent Mehdi Taremi’s opening goal for Iran. Nonetheless, it was a solid display from the centre-back, who was substituted early as a precautionary measure.
Meanwhile, Marcus Rashford managed to bury the ghosts of the Euro 2020 penalty shoot-out loss with an instant impact. He scored England’s fifth goal, just 26 seconds after coming on.
It was a tremendous comeback for him after being out of the England picture since July 2021.
The performance may not be sufficient for him to break into the Three Lions line-up, considering Saka and Raheem Sterling shared three goals between them before being taken off by Southgate.
However, it should put him in good stead for the busy phase of the tournament. After his goal involvement today, the 24-year-old should be Southgate’s first-choice substitute hereon.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract