Manchester United have triggered the 12-month extension clause on the contract of midfielder Dylan Levitt, Manchester Evening News reports.
The 21-year-old spent the recent campaign on loan with Dundee United in the Scottish Premiership, where he impressed with six goals and one assist from 30 appearances in all competitions.
The youngster has since started for Wales in their Nations League group stage clash against Poland. He fared pretty well, winning five tackles and seven ground duels with 71 touches.
Levitt’s United contract was due to expire in the summer of 2022, but the club have now decided to trigger the one-year extension to avoid the prospect of losing him for free.
The youngster is currently undecided over his future. While he is keen to impress Erik ten Hag in pre-season, a permanent exit is an option if Wales go on to qualify for the World Cup.
Levitt had a productive loan spell at Dundee United last term. He could now be eyeing a consistent starting role with his country, having recently played the entire 90 minutes against Poland.
For that, he needs to be playing regular first-team football. Levitt will be integrated into the United squad for the pre-season campaign, but faces plenty of competition from his teammates.
Scott McTominay and Fred are established first-team regulars. There is a void left by the departures of Nemanja Matic and Paul Pogba, but Donny van de Beek should fill one of the spots after his loan return.
The club are also eyeing a new marquee midfielder. The competition does not end there with James Garner also bidding to break into Ten Hag’s plans after a superb loan stint with recently-promoted Nottingham Forest.
Ten Hag could be open to loaning Levitt to a Premier League club to analyse his progress, but that would be dependent on him penning a new long-term deal. Else, there is a genuine possibility of a permanent exit.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest