Manchester United tried to sign Inter Milan defender Milan Skriniar earlier in the January transfer window, French publication L’Equipe claim (today’s edition).
The Red Devils have had a quiet winter transfer window and they have made just two loan signings in the form of Jack Butland and Wout Weghorst.
The club are eyeing another stop-gap forward before Tuesday’s deadline, but it appears they made a surprise move for Skriniar earlier this month.
L’Equipe reveal that the Red Devils tried an ‘offensive’ to land the centre-back but it was unsuccessful as he had given his word to Paris Saint-Germain.
Skriniar is currently in the final six months of his Inter contract. It is claimed that Les Parisiens could try to sign him in January itself for €10-15 million.
United set to miss out on world-class Skriniar
We recently covered an opinion that United should sign Skriniar but it seems the defender has made the decision to join PSG in January or in the summer.
This is a big blow for the Red Devils, considering they have made an approach for him this month.
Skriniar would have been perfect for manager Erik ten Hag as he is a superb ball-playing defender and does not have any underlying witnesses in his game.
The Slovakian has been a world-class performer for the Nerazzurri in recent years and should prove to be a key player for Les Parisiens when he joins them.
Meanwhile, United are likely to pursue another marquee centre-back this summer and there are several other alternatives that the club could consider.
Monaco’s Axel Disasi and Napoli’s Kim Min-jae are among players on their radar.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups