Manchester United have been told to triple their loan bid to sign Atletico Madrid forward Joao Felix this month, Portuguese outlet O Jogo claim (today’s edition, page 23).
The Red Devils are aiming to pursue a new striker during the ongoing transfer window and Felix is reportedly one of the top names on their radar at the moment.
They have already made a loan proposal of €4 million for the Portuguese star while covering his entire wages but Atletico insist on €12m to sanction his temporary exit.
As a result, there is an impasse in negotiations. It is claimed that Felix could end up staying. Atletico are said to be impressed by his World Cup and recent league form.
Felix to United seems an unlikely possibility
United want to fill the void left by Cristiano Ronaldo’s exit. Felix has been earmarked as a top target due to his versatility but Atletico’s loan demands are excessive.
For a loan deal until the end of May, the Spanish side want a staggering €12m fee and also prefer his €280,000-a-week wages covered during his temporary stint.
The overall cost for the loan transfer could be €18m for five months. It is a risk that United could take, but manager Erik ten Hag has recently warned the club should not just burn money.
In our view, United will probably play the waiting game on Felix. A deal seems unlikely at the moment unless Atletico are prepared to lower their price for the player.
A move may also depend on Felix’s conduct at the Spanish outfit. His relationship with manager Diego Simeone has deteriorated, but he was picked to start against Elche.
The 23-year-old netted three goals in two La Liga games before the World Cup and continued his fine form against Elche last week, scoring in a 2-0 win for the Madrid side.
It won’t be a surprise if Atletico end up keeping him for the rest of the season.
Felix, who has been described as a ‘special talent‘ by Alvaro Morata, has also been linked with Premier League rivals Arsenal. They want to fill the void left by Gabriel Jesus’ injury.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Capology.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest