Manchester United are in the market for a new left-back this summer.
This past season Ashley Young made the role his own, fending off competition from the likes of Luke Shaw, Daley Blind and Marcos Rojo to start the majority of games.
However, the England international turns 33 over the summer and isn’t an out-and-out defender.
As a result we have been linked to a number of players in this position over the past couple of months.
The latest reports, coming out of Germany are the FC Augsburg left-back Philipp Max could make a surprise move to Old Trafford this summer.
Max had a very productive season for the bottom half side in which he recorded a staggering 12 assists and even scored twice in 33 Bundesliga appearances.
TeamTalk are quoting reports from Germany as saying:
“He is keen to move up in the career, he loves the Premier League and is ready to join Manchester United – his favourite club.
“Philipp is the best (left back in Germany) and at his peak now, Augsburg would want around €40m.”
The €40 million fee equates to £35 million – not a ridiculous price in today’s market, but Philipp Max has not played Champions League football nor represented his country at senior international level.
The full-back was in the Bayern Munich youth team before transferring to Schalke 04 in 2010. He made his debut in the fierce Revierderby against Borussia Dortmund four years later.
However, Max would drop down the divisions to play for Karlsruhe in 2014 before getting his move to Augsburg the following year where he remains today.
The defender has made 91 appearances in all competitions for the Bundlesliga side.
Philipp Max is certainly an attacking-minded full-back who has an excellent cross on him as well as being good at creating opportunities from set pieces.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations