Manchester United have been linked to a number of players this summer but one name that has been mentioned several times is Chelsea winger Willian.
The Brazilian international is currently away with his national team in Russia the 2018 World Cup but reports continue to suggest that Jose Mourinho is keen to bring him to Old Trafford.
Willian played under the boss during Jose’s time at Chelsea and has been a consistent player down the right wing, despite splitting time with Pedro last season.
Chelsea have now named the price they will accept for the 29-year-old, who has also been linked with a move to Barcelona this summer.
According to ESPN Brazil, Chelsea have set an asking price of €80 million (£70m) – a hefty sum given Willian’s age and that the player himself admitted he would welcome a move away from Stamford Bridge this summer.
While the Blues want that fee I cannot see ourselves or Barcelona being prepared to match it. And would Chelsea keep a player on their books that is seemingly disinterested in staying? I suspect they’d lower their valuation of the Brazilian international the nearer we get to the end of the summer transfer window.
The report itself even states that Barcelona would not be prepared to shell out so much cash.
Jose Mourinho has never been settled on a right winger at Manchester United, with Juan Mata, Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard all splitting time down that side last season. It wouldn’t surprise us if we sign a new player in this role over the summer but you can be assured that we will not be giving Chelsea such a huge fee.
- Man Utd set to appoint Chris Armas as first-team coach under Ralf Rangnick
- Tactical Analysis: Hugely encouraging signs in Ralf Rangnick’s debut against Crystal Palace
- Man Utd fans delighted with Fred’s stand-out display against Crystal Palace
- Ralf Rangnick heaps praise on Fred and Scott McTominay after Crystal Palace win
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace
- Who will Rangnick target in the transfer window?
- Man Utd fans react to Fred’s performance vs Arsenal
- Michael Carrick leaves Manchester United in wake of Arsenal win
- Manchester United vs Arsenal 3-2: Cristiano Ronaldo saves the day again
- Michael Carrick provides fresh injury update on Raphael Varane