Manchester United will make a very important offer to sign Inter Milan midfielder Nicolo Barella in the next few days, according to FC Inter News.
The Red Devils are currently in advanced negotiations with Chelsea to land Mason Mount. They have already failed with two bids for the 24-year-old, but are optimistic over reaching an agreement.
Amidst this, it is reported that United are planning a ‘very important offer’ for Barella, who was recently on the radar of league rivals Newcastle United.
The Magpies were willing to pay €70 million (£60m) to recruit the Italy international, but it was insufficient to convince the Nerazzurri to sanction his sale.
Nonetheless, FC Inter News insist that a transfer has not been ruled out. A significant bid close to €100m (£86m) could convince them to part ways with Barella.
United unlikely to make huge outlay on Barella
The Red Devils have not given up on their pursuit, and it has recently been reported that Chelsea could be tempted to sell for an improved package of £60m.
If a deal materialises for Mount, we don’t see the prospect of United spending big on Barella.
Barella is no doubt a highly-talented midfielder. Last season, he registered an impressive tally of nine goals and 10 assists from 52 appearances for Inter.
The Italian star had a pass accuracy of 85 per cent. He won an impressive 1.4 tackles and 4.4 duels per game while managing more than one successful dribble.
Despite his glowing statistics, United may not afford him after Mount’s arrival. Ten Hag currently has an upfront budget of £120m for the summer transfer window.
This is unlikely to change regardless of a takeover. The Dutch tactician will have to recoup additional transfer funds to spend by offloading unwanted players.
Ten Hag is currently eyeing a new striker, a central defender and a goalkeeper after Mount. These three positions could be prioritised before considering another midfielder.
United are more likely to pursue a low-cost midfield signing over Barella. The Red Devils could attempt to sign Adrien Rabiot on a free transfer in the coming weeks.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions