Manchester United are preparing to make a transfer offer for Inter Milan defender Denzel Dumfries, according to L’Interista.
The Red Devils have placed their entire focus on signing midfielder Frenkie de Jong this month, and they are now on the verge of reaching a transfer agreement with Barcelona.
Once a deal is finalised, they should look into reinforcing other positions. A new right-back could be one of the priorities with Erik ten Hag eyeing more creativity from the role.
Earlier this month, it was claimed that Ten Hag wants to bring Dumfries to Old Trafford, and L’Interista now reports that the club are planning to make a €30 million (£26m) bid to sign him.
United utilised Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Diogo Dalot as the regular right-back options last term. Wan-Bissaka started the season as the undisputed starter, but lost his starting spot midway.
While he was impressive with his defensive work, his lack of attacking threat meant that he was replaced by Diogo Dalot in the XI after Ralf Rangnick replaced Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Meanwhile, Dumfries would be a terrific addition to the United squad after a superb debut season at Inter Milan. He bagged five goals and seven assists from 45 appearances for the Nerazzurri.
He played exclusively from the right wing-back role for the Serie A outfit, but it may not overly concern Ten Hag, given his style of play involves full-backs making regular overlapping runs.
Dumfries has not had much work to do defensively over the past year for club and country, but should comfortably play in a back four, having been a right-back for the majority of his career.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd very interested in signing Brighton prodigy Moises Caicedo
- Joel Glazer firmly against the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Manchester United offered the chance to sign Antoine Griezmann
- Man Utd weigh up stunning deal for Casemiro
- Man Utd still considering move for Moussa Dembele
- talkSPORT and Fabrizio Romano claim Manchester United are closing in on £42m deal for Matheus Cunha
- Hakim Ziyech remains a priority for Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag
- Erik ten Hag makes direct request to Manchester United board to sign ‘scintillating’ Ajax attacker Antony
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Man Utd to accelerate Wan-Bissaka’s exit to sign Sergino Dest