Manchester United have confirmed that they will be facing Atletico Madrid in their fifth friendly of the pre-season campaign.
The Red Devils ended the 2021/22 Premier League season on a poor note with 58 points, their worst-ever tally since 1990.
Despite this, there has been plenty of optimism among fans with manager Erik ten Hag being touted to change the club’s fortunes.
The Dutch tactician has already had a positive impact with the season tickets being sold with a very few number of non-renewals.
Ten Hag has confirmed that pre-season begins from June 27, and the fans will get the first glimpse of the team from mid-July.
United play their first pre-season friendly against arch-rivals Liverpool in Bangkok, Thailand on July 12 – their first visit since 2013.
They will then travel to Melbourne, Australia for two games against Melbourne Victory (July 15) and Crystal Palace (July 19).
Four days later, United face Aston Villa in Perth’s Optus Stadium, where they played a couple of times in their last tour in 2019.
It has now been confirmed that Atletico will be their fifth friendly opposition on July 30. The teams will face off in Oslo, Norway.
Pre-season is generally focused on getting up to speed and adapting to the tactical setup. Ten Hag will instil his own philosophy on the squad.
Still, the Red Devils will have some scores to settle early on, having lost to Liverpool, Atletico Madrid and Crystal Palace this year.
Villa also registered a 2-2 draw against them. They seem to mean business already with the signings of Boubacar Kamara and Diego Carlos.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest