Manchester United are prepared to accelerate Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s departure as they look to finalise the transfer of Barcelona’s Sergino Dest, Spanish publication Sport claim.
The Red Devils are keen on pursuing a new right-back for manager Erik ten Hag, and it was recently reported that they have their sights on landing Dest from the Blaugrana.
United recently sent Ethan Laird on loan to Queen Park Rangers, but Sport reveal the club plan to offload another right-back in the form of Wan-Bissaka before an approach for Dest.
The Red Devils are set to speed up Wan-Bissaka’s departure (likely on loan) before pursuing the services of Dest, who is free to leave the Blaugrana for around €20 million this summer.
Barcelona boss Xavi praised Dest as ‘spectacularly good‘ earlier this year, but he no longer appears in the Spaniard’s plans, having been left out of the squad to face Rayo Vallecano lately.
United need to sign Dest at the earliest possibility
United already have a potential loan offer from Crystal Palace for Wan-Bissaka, but they seem to be eyeing a better proposal as the Eagles may not pay his entire wages.
However, in the process of delaying his departure, they could end up missing out on Dest. The United States international has also been frequently linked with rivals Chelsea.
Hence, they need to be fast in sorting out Wan-Bissaka’s exit such that they can reach a formal agreement for Dest. Barcelona are also willing to accept a loan with a buy obligation.
Such an agreement would suit United as they can delay his purchase until next summer. Dest would be a solid addition to the squad as he has been an attacking right-back in his short career.
The 21-year-old started his senior career with Ajax in 2019/2020 under Ten Hag. He made an impressive eight goal contributions in his debut campaign before his big-money move to Barcelona.
Dest has not been able to find the consistency at the Catalan giants. It may have been partly influenced by him playing in multiple positions rather than settling in a single role with the club.
He has played at right-back, right wing-back, left-back as well as a right winger. At United, he could make the right-back position his own as Ten Hag will know his strengths from his early Ajax days.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season
- Tottenham Hotspur will resist Harry Kane sale to Man Utd this summer
- Three midfielders Manchester United could sign from the relegated Premier League clubs this summer