Manchester United are yet to make any signings during this summer’s transfer window, but the current week could be pivotal with the hierarchy weighing up a renewed bid for Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong.
The Netherlands international is the ‘absolute priority‘ for new manager Erik ten Hag, but there is still a significant difference in the transfer valuations between the clubs.
United’s opening offer of €60 million plus add-ons has been rejected by the Catalan giants, but plans are underway over a fresh approach. There is a ‘serious possibility‘ of that happening.
It is unclear whether United will meet Barcelona’s requirement for €80m upfront. They could look to negotiate a lesser sum as the Blaugrana may want to recoup funds before the financial year ends.
Aside from De Jong, the Red Devils have been linked with multiple Ajax stars this summer. A deal for Jurrien Timber seems improbable at the moment with the defender wary of leaving Ajax.
With his World Cup spot on the line with the Netherlands, the 21-year-old has turned down a move to Old Trafford. Louis van Gaal has warned him that he could be dropped if he does not play regularly.
While a move for Timber appears ‘dead in the water’, United seem optimistic of landing Ajax winger Antony, who excelled under Ten Hag’s tutelage with 22 goal contributions last season.
The Red Devils signed Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund to provide a solution on the right side of attack, but the England international tended to fare better from the opposite flank.
Owing to this, United could be eyeing another specialist on the right wing. Leeds’ Raphinha was mentioned as a target last month, but a deal could be difficult after they avoided the drop.
The arch rivalry between the clubs may also urge Leeds to reject any approach. Hence, the focus appears on Antony. United could lodge a formal bid for his signature over the coming days.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest