Manchester United may have been given a boost in our attempts to sign Barcelona centre-back Samuel Umtiti this summer as the club are in no rush to put a new contract together for the 24-year-old.
We reported earlier this month that the French international is considering a move to Old Trafford if the runaway La Liga leaders do not significantly increase his wages.
Umtiti has been a regular in Ernesto Valverde’s defence that has helped the Catalan club to an 11-point lead at the top of the Spanish league with only seven games remaining. However, Barcelona were handed a shock on Tuesday night when they lost 3-0 at Roma to be eliminated from the Champions League at the quarter-final stage.
Speaking after the game in Rome, Barcelona star Lionel Messi then blamed our interest in the defender on their defeat. Though that story may be exaggerated.
However, Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo are now reporting that Barcelona are stalling on their contract negotiations with Samuel Umtiti. Could this be because the centre-back wants to discuss terms with Manchester United over the summer?
As Victor Lindelof hasn’t worked out in his first season at Manchester United we’re very likely to sign a new centre-back this summer, and it’s no secret that we’re after Umtiti. Now we just have to wait and see if we can pull it off once the summer transfer window opens.
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal