Manchester United may have been given a boost in our attempts to sign Barcelona centre-back Samuel Umtiti this summer as the club are in no rush to put a new contract together for the 24-year-old.
We reported earlier this month that the French international is considering a move to Old Trafford if the runaway La Liga leaders do not significantly increase his wages.
Umtiti has been a regular in Ernesto Valverde’s defence that has helped the Catalan club to an 11-point lead at the top of the Spanish league with only seven games remaining. However, Barcelona were handed a shock on Tuesday night when they lost 3-0 at Roma to be eliminated from the Champions League at the quarter-final stage.
Speaking after the game in Rome, Barcelona star Lionel Messi then blamed our interest in the defender on their defeat. Though that story may be exaggerated.
However, Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo are now reporting that Barcelona are stalling on their contract negotiations with Samuel Umtiti. Could this be because the centre-back wants to discuss terms with Manchester United over the summer?
As Victor Lindelof hasn’t worked out in his first season at Manchester United we’re very likely to sign a new centre-back this summer, and it’s no secret that we’re after Umtiti. Now we just have to wait and see if we can pull it off once the summer transfer window opens.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations