Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat has turned down a move to Barcelona and insists on playing under Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone, according to Sport.
The Morocco international is eyeing a fresh move away from Florence this summer, and he has been continuously linked with Manchester United in recent weeks.
Amrabat has reportedly agreed personal terms with the club over a transfer, but Sport bring a different side to the story and claim that Atletico are favourites to sign him.
The 26-year-old has reportedly rejected a move to Barcelona. He is currently keen on working with Simeone, who has been tracking him since the last World Cup.
A number of top European clubs are also interested in Amrabat, but he has his sights on joining Atletico.
The Spanish publication claim that it would require €40 million to prise him away from Fiorentina. It is a ‘matter of time’ before Atletico prepare a similar transfer offer.
Amrabat to Atletico speculation could be agent-driven
United have been touted to sign Amrabat for a number of weeks. A formal approach could be made as soon as they recoup funds from midfield exits in the coming days.
Donny van de Beek is another candidate that could head for the exit door, but on loan.
Hence, United should make an official offer for Amrabat soon, but they need to be wary of Atletico.
The speculation could be agent-driven to persuade United to speed up discussions with Fiorentina.
However, there is also a possibility that Amrabat favours a move to the Spanish top-flight.
Earlier this summer, it was claimed that the midfielder would prefer a switch to La Liga with either Barcelona or Atletico amid interest from Erik ten Hag’s side.
In our view, United need to act fast as Atletico could scupper their plans of signing Amrabat.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns