Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat has opened the door to joining Liverpool this summer amid interest from Manchester United, Corriere dello Sport claim (page 24).
The Red Devils have identified the Moroccan as a top target to bolster the defensive midfield department, but they are yet to make a formal approach for his services.
Fiorentina currently want at least €30 million for the 26-year-old, and Corriere dello Sport report that Liverpool have re-established contact with the Serie A outfit.
After missing out on Moises Caicedo to Chelsea, manager Jurgen Klopp has made a clear request for Amrabat. He has already spoken directly with the midfielder.
Amrabat after ‘some hesitations’ related to the ‘preferences of his entourage’, now seems ‘convinced to accept’ a move to Liverpool before the transfer deadline.
However, United have not left the scene and could ‘forcefully’ return to the race.
Man Utd need to open negotiations for Amrabat soon
United have been widely fancied to sign the Moroccan over the past weeks. He has reportedly agreed personal terms, but the club have not made any contact with La Viola.
The hierarchy recently parted ways with Fred for around €15m, and they are probably looking to sell either Donny van de Beek or Scott McTominay before making an approach.
However, this could be a risky tactic from the Red Devils, considering Liverpool’s renewed interest.
After the latest setbacks on Caicedo and Romeo Lavia, the Merseyside giants are desperate to add a quality holding midfielder to the squad before the transfer window closes.
Unlike United, Klopp’s side have funds readily available to spend. If Amrabat grows impatient over the Red Devils’ ongoing delay, he could decide to join the Anfield club.
In our view, Amrabat could still end up at Old Trafford. With Liverpool entering the race, the board could be forced to spend money on him first before selling another midfielder.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action