Manchester United target Sergej Milinkovic-Savic produced an impressive performance for Serbia during their 3-3 World Cup draw against Cameroon this afternoon.
The 27-year-old did not make a huge impact in the 2-0 loss to Brazil last week, but turned up with a credible display against the West African giants, capped with a goal.
The midfielder put the Serbians 2-1 ahead right before the break with a delightful left-footed shot from outside the box. He placed his effort into the right corner of the net.
Serbia went on to take a 3-1 lead early in the second half, but goals from Vincent Aboubakar and Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting meant that the spoils were eventually shared.
Despite the result, Milinkovic-Savic must be lauded for his display. He won an impressive 10 duels while winning three tackles. He induced as many as four fouls from Cameroon.
Distribution wise, he had 76 touches with 35 passes and won two take-ons. The Serbian clearly showed why he is regarded as one of the best box-to-box midfielders in Europe.
United have been linked with Milinkovic-Savic on numerous occasions in the past, and we won’t be surprised if they are tempted to make an approach at the end of the season.
Milinkovic-Savic, who is currently valued at €60 million by Transfermarkt, will enter the final year of his contract at Lazio next summer. He has shown no signs of penning a renewal.
The Serie A outfit could be tempted to sell him for the best proposal. In our view, United should consider him as he would be an upgrade on Christian Eriksen in the number eight role.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities