Manchester United target Jean-Clair Todibo continued his fine start to the campaign with another stand-out performance for Nice in the French Ligue 1.
Les Aiglons have exceeded expectations in the early part of the season and their defence has been hugely influential. They have conceded just four goals in 11 league games.
Todibo has played a starring role for the club and he came up with another impressive display against Rennes last night as Nice returned to the top of the standings.
Over 90 minutes, the former Barcelona man had 85 touches with 66 passes. He had a passing accuracy of 94%, completing six out of his seven long balls attempted.
The 23-year-old also won six ground and aerial duels alongside three tackles and three clearances. In our view, he has all the credentials to succeed in the Premier League.
United were keen on landing his signature during the summer transfer window. They were planning to offload Harry Maguire before preparing a late approach.
However, the former captain opted to stay at the club. This meant that the Red Devils did not have the funds to purchase the Frenchman due to Financial Fair Play.
Maguire has recently transformed his fortunes to become a regular starter, but United could still return for Todibo in January or next summer depending on Raphael Varane’s future.
Varane has been on the bench in the last two league games with Maguire preferred in the right centre-back role. If this persists, he may start considering his options.
A lucrative move to Saudi Arabia can’t be ruled out for Varane. Todibo could come in as a solid replacement. He has the potential to get even better with age on his side.
United’s chances of signing Todibo should be boosted with Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s minority stake at the club, considering he is currently the majority shareholder at Nice.
However, the club may have to wait until the summer if Nice continue their bright run of form and remain in contention for the Champions League places in the New Year.
Stats from Sofascore.com & Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action