Manchester United target Goncalo Ramos produced a brilliant performance last night as Benfica booked their spot in the last eight of the Champions League.
The Portugal international is one of the most sought-after strikers in world football and he showed why he is on high demand with another scintillating display.
Benfica already had a 2-0 lead from the first leg of the round of 16 against Club Brugge and they secured a comfortable 5-1 victory at the Estadio da Luz last night.
Ramos was the stand-out performer with three goal contributions. The 22-year-old led the counter-attack from the left wing for the opening goal, delivering a brilliant assist for Rafa Silva.
Right before the interval, Ramos made it 2-0 for Benfica with a low shot beyond Simon Mignolet. He extended the club’s advantage prior to the hour mark.
Aside from his goal involvements, Ramos also won seven duels and completed three take-ons.
Ramos would be the perfect striker for Man Utd
United have been linked with Ramos for a number of months and it was recently revealed that the club are in contact with his agent Jorge Mendes over a transfer.
Benfica have no plans to hold negotiations for Ramos until the summer but United are keeping a close watch on him. They will have monitored him last night.
In our opinion, he would be the perfect striker for manager Erik ten Hag. Ramos has excellent finishing skills but also possesses the ability to create chances.
The Portuguese is also a modern striker who can swap positions effectively. He has caught the eye with his strong hold-up play and aerial presence up front.
Ramos currently has a €120 million release clause in his contract but Benfica could sell him for €100m.
At that price, it should be a no-brainer decision for United. Ramos has the hallmarks of being a world-class striker with his impressive all-round attributes.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books