Bayern Munich defender Benjamin Pavard has ‘definitely chosen’ Inter Milan amid Manchester United’s interest in signing him, according to Corriere dello Sport (page 13).
The 27-year-old has less than 11 months remaining on his current contract and he has no plans of putting pen-to-paper on an extension. Inter are currently in formal talks with Bayern, and Pavard prefers to join them.
The Frenchman recently liked a post on Inter Milan’s Instagram account before following them. He has ‘definitely chosen’ the Nerazzurri as his next destination, but the Serie A outfit have yet to finalise a transfer fee.
The club recently proposed to pay €25 million plus add-ons for the versatile defender, but Bayern are looking for €40m to consider his departure.
Meanwhile, United are willing to match the demands of Bayern, but the offer will remain ‘virtual’ until Harry Maguire is convinced to leave the club.
United facing losing battle in Pavard pursuit
However, a move seems unlikely to happen at the moment with Maguire reluctant to move on.
As a result, the club are not in a position to spend on Pavard due to Financial Fair Play issues. He would be a quality acquisition with his ability to play in central defence or at right-back.
The Frenchman has had a passing accuracy of 90 per cent for most of his career and has no weaknesses defensively. He has excelled with his tackling, clearances and duel winning ability.
Ten Hag sees Pavard as an ideal signing to provide competition. He has reportedly guaranteed him an ‘important role‘, but United are facing a losing battle.
Inter are already in advanced negotiations with Bayern for the World Cup winner, and they could seek to reach an agreement for his services in the next few days.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling