Manchester United remain interested in signing Bayern Munich defender Benjamin Pavard but a deal depends on Harry Maguire heading for the exit door, as per Gazzetta dello Sport (page 8).
The Red Devils recently reached a verbal agreement with West Ham United over the sale of Harry Maguire, but a transfer did not materialise after the centre-back refused to discuss personal terms.
The Englishman’s decision has hampered United’s transfer plans, considering they were preparing to sign Pavard as his replacement. It is now reported that Inter Milan and Arsenal have joined the race for him.
The Nerazzurri recently made an opening €25 million bid for the 27-year-old, but the offer was rejected by Bayern. The German champions want at least €30m up front with €5m in add-ons.
Inter are unlikely to raise their offer, but Gazzetta dello Sport claim Arsenal and United could meet their demands. The Gunners want to fill the void left by Jurrien Timber’s long-term injury.
Meanwhile, United’s move for him is clearly dependent on Maguire leaving the club.
Pavard deal looks unlikely after Maguire decision
United were optimistic of parting ways with Maguire earlier this summer. They agreed a deal worth £30 million (€35m) with the Hammers, but the centre-back decided to stay.
The move is expected to block their plans of pursuing Pavard from Bayern. United need a high-profile exit from their defence before they can sign the World Cup winner.
Maguire is the only sellable defender in the current squad. The likes of Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Victor Lindelof proved their credentials until manager Erik ten Hag last season.
As things stand, United could miss out on signing Pavard to one of their European rivals. It won’t be a good sight if he ends up joining the Gunners in the coming days.
Pavard can play as a central defender or as a right-back. Last season, he had a passing accuracy of 90 per cent in Bundesliga, winning 2.3 tackles and five duels per game.
He would be a quality acquisition for his next club.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action