Manchester United are in the market for a new centre-back this summer and with less than two weeks left of the window we are still yet to land one.
We have been strongly linked with a move for Tottenham Hotspur’s Toby Alderweireld and Leicester City’s Harry Maguire in recent weeks but have failed to have an offer accepted by either club.
However, it appears there’s a big opportunity for us to sign Barcelona centre-back Yerry Mina.
The 23-year-old is coming off a World Cup where he scored three goals in three games from only three efforts on goal, helping Colombia reach the second round where they were eliminated on penalties by England.
It was only yesterday that the Sun reported we were considering a move for the 6’4” centre-back after failing to persuade Leicester City to sell Harry Maguire.
Today Barcelona are reportedly ready to accept a €30 million (£27m) from fellow Premier League side Everton for their defender. Somewhat of a bargain when you consider Leicester are rejecting £65m for Maguire and Tottenham demanding £75 million for Toby Alderweireld.
Goal understand that the Toffees have made a £27m bid to the La Liga champions, with the player poised to move.
Yerry Mina was regarded as a top young defender when the Catalan club signed him from Palmeiras in January. However, the signing of fellow centre-back Clement Lenglet gives Barcelona a further option in defence, already with Gerard Pique and Samuel Umtiti. On top of that, Brazilian Malcom adds to their list of non-EU nationals.
So it would be no surprise if Mina does indeed leave the Camp Nou this summer. It would certainly be a surprise if we don’t make a late move, unless Jose Mourinho has another centre-back lined up.
It will be an interesting couple of days to see what comes of this and which centre-back we do sign before the end of the summer transfer window, which closes Thursday 9 August, the day before we face Leicester City at Old Trafford in the 2018-19 Premier League opener.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations