Manchester United target Antony won’t be sold on the cheap this summer with Ajax eyeing a fee between €70-80 million, De Telegraaf’s Mike Verweij reports.
The Red Devils have been linked with moves for multiple Ajax stars since the appointment of Erik ten Hag as their new head coach.
However, the club may need to make a huge outlay to land his services this summer after an update from Verweij, who is one of the most reputed Dutch journalists.
As per him, Ajax are reluctant to lose Antony, Jurrien Timber and Lisandro Martinez unless significant bids are made. They are eyeing around €70-80m for Antony’s services.
For the likes of Timber and Martinez, the Dutch champions are expected to hold out for at least €50-60m. Edson Alvarez is the other player in the transfer market for €30m.
Antony has been a consistent performer for Ajax since joining from Sao Paulo in 2020. He managed 22 goal contributions from 32 outings last term before picking up an ankle injury.
Ten Hag knows him very well, having orchestrated his move from Brazil. The 22-year-old was a mainstay on the right wing under the Dutch tactician, and a reunion at Old Trafford won’t be a surprise.
However, Verweij’s update is a potential blow for the Red Devils, who will have hoped to prise Antony away for a lesser sum. Ajax seem to be playing hardball after losing a few players on the cheap.
Noussair Mazraoui joined Bayern Munich on a free transfer while Ryan Gravenberch signed for the German champions for €18.5 million. Sebastien Haller is on his way to Borussia Dortmund in a deal worth €35m.
Hence, they seem reluctant to lose any more players and it would take a premium fee to prise away Anthony. United tend to haggle over price tags, and a deal for Anthony could well be delayed until late August.
The club are prepared to back Ten Hag with funds to pursue his preferred signings, but football director John Murtough does not want the club to be held to ransom which has happened over the past few years.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest