Manchester United have taken the lead to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa this summer, according to Portuguese publication A Bola.
David de Gea has been United’s undisputed number one for 12 seasons, but there could be a change ahead of the 2023/24 campaign.
It is now reported by A Bola that the Red Devils have taken the lead to land Costa.
The 23-year-old is set to make his final appearance for Porto on Sunday before securing a move to the English Premier League.
Chelsea and Newcastle United have expressed an interest in signing him, but United are in the driving seat to land his services.
Costa would be a perfect goalkeeper for Man Utd
De Gea has had a disappointing end to the season. He won the Premier League Golden Glove with 17 clean sheets but that does not reveal the real picture.
The Spaniard recently made a couple of blunders against Sevilla and West Ham United, and he was also unconvincing in the FA Cup final against Manchester City.
The 32-year-old found himself in static motion as Ilkay Gundogan opened the scoring. He should have done better to prevent the second goal for the Cityzens.
Gundogan’s tame shot found the back of the net through a crowded defence. De Gea was blindsided for a moment but should have covered ground to save the effort.
Roy Keane slammed De Gea after the FA Cup final and in our view, it could be time to pursue a new number one. Costa would be a perfect candidate for the job.
He is good ball-playing goalkeeper who has the ability to make high claims. The Portuguese star is also more assured with his long-ball distribution unlike De Gea.
United will have to pay a premium price to sign him. He has a release clause worth €75 million in his contract. Porto may want a fee close to that value to sell.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action