Manchester United are strongly interested in signing Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat this summer, according to Italian publication La Nazione.
The Red Devils recently reached an agreement with Chelsea to sign Mason Mount. The England international will officially join the club this week.
The Red Devils are ‘strongly interested’ in the Morocco international, and already have an ‘economic agreement’ in place with the 26-year-old star.
However, United still need to meet Fiorentina’s €30 million asking price. Amrabat’s contract expires in June 2024, but there is an option for 12 months.
Atletico Madrid are also interested in signing the midfielder, but United could have an edge with Amrabat having worked under Ten Hag at former club Utrecht.
Amrabat would provide quality cover for Casemiro
Amrabat has been terrific for club and country over the past year. The Moroccan has excelled from the defensive midfield role with his superb concentration.
Last season, he registered a pass accuracy of 90 per cent in the Italian top-flight. He managed to complete an impressive 80 per cent of his long balls.
Amrabat also won 1.3 tackles and 3.1 duels per outing. In our opinion, he would be a perfect signing to provide quality cover and competition for Casemiro.
Casemiro was fantastic in his debut season for United, but there was a definite drop in quality when the Brazilian was sidelined due to multiple suspensions.
Amrabat would be an upgrade on Scott McTominay and Fred with his better distribution, regular pressing and ability to control play from the centre of the park.
United are currently looking to part ways with Fred amid interest from Fulham. Amrabat could be considered as his replacement in the first-team squad.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions