Manchester United strongly appreciate the profile of Lille striker Jonathan David and are regularly monitoring him, French journalist Ignazio Genuardi claims.
There is currently uncertainty over the future of Cristiano Ronaldo and he could head for the exit door when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.
In that case, manager Erik ten Hag will want a replacement and Genuardi reports that the Red Devils are keen admirers of David and are keeping tabs on him.
David would be a top-class signing for Man Utd
The Canadian has been linked with a Premier League move for the past few seasons and we won’t be surprised if he heads to England in January or next summer.
The 22-year-old netted 19 goals from 48 outings for Lille last term. He has stepped up his performances this season with nine goals and three assists from just 12 games.
If Ronaldo needs to be replaced in January, United should move for David’s services. He has good pace and dribbling ability. He can also provide key passes in the final third.
David has played as the main or second striker at Lille, but can also operate from the number 10 role. He was a regular starter in the position during his time at Belgian side Gent.
Hence, he is a multi-dimensional striker with a keen eye for goal and would be a quality signing. As per Transfermarkt, he is valued at €45 million. He would be a bargain for that price.
United may possibly need to wait until the summer to land him as Lille barely sell their key players in January. A firm example is Sven Botman, who was denied a winter move to Newcastle United.
The Magpies eventually signed him from Les Dogues during the summer transfer window.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract