Manchester United striker target Matheus Cunha will be available in January following Atletico Madrid’s dreadful campaign in the Champions League, Marca report.
Atletico were facing a deficit of €40 million last summer and their losses are set to increase by another €30m following their early exit from European football.
As a result, the club are being fancied to offload players in January and it is claimed that Cunha is one of the leading candidates that could head for the exit door.
United reportedly tried to sign the Brazil international during the last transfer window, but Atletico deemed the player as ‘untouchable’ under Diego Simeone.
Man Utd have second chance to land Cunha’s services
United currently have Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Cristiano Ronaldo as their centre-forward options, but the latter could pursue a fresh challenge in January.
The Portuguese was eager to leave the club to play Champions League football last summer. It has been reported that the board won’t block his exit in the New Year.
If Ronaldo decides to move on, manager Erik ten Hag will no doubt want a replacement. We could see United make a fresh move to sign Cunha from Atletico.
The Brazilian turned into a super-sub for Atletico last season with six goals and six assists from just 1,050 minutes of playing time in the Spanish top-flight.
However, he has struggled to replicate the same with just two assists from 370 minutes this term.
The 23-year-old is obviously more talented than being a regular substitute and will be eyeing a consistent starting role if he were to leave the club this winter.
Atletico won’t be getting anywhere close to his €100m release clause and may ideally want to recoup the €26m fee paid to Hertha for his signature last year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books