Manchester United are still pushing to sign Bayern Munich striker Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting this month, according to Sky Sport Germany journalist Florian Plettenberg.
United are aiming for a low-cost signing this winter and Plettenberg claims that the hierarchy are still interested in pursuing the services of Choupo-Moting.
The Cameroon international has entered the final six months of his contract at Bayern. The German giants have yet to convince him to put pen-to-paper on a renewal.
The 33-year-old does not want to be a back-up option at Bayern next term.
Choupo-Moting would be a good stop-gap signing for United
The former Schalke 04 star has been a revelation for Bayern since Robert Lewandowski’s exit last summer.
Choupo-Moting has not had a great scoring record in his career but has been in sublime form this campaign, registering 11 goals and three assists from just 16 games for Bayern.
The striker was also impressive at the World Cup, scoring in the thrilling 3-3 draw against Serbia.
Hence, United’s interest does not come as a surprise. The club have pursued some experienced strikers in the past few years such as Edinson Cavani, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Odion Ighalo.
Choupo-Moting has largely played as a striker for Bayern and previously at Paris Saint-Germain. However, he can also operate out wide and likes to contribute defensively as well.
On top of this, he has Premier League experience too. Choupo-Moting bagged five goals and five assists for Stoke City in his only campaign in the English top-flight in 2017/18.
In our view, he would be a good stop-gap signing until the summer before being sold.
The big question is whether Bayern will consider any transfer bids for him. He is valued at €6 million by Transfermarkt but they may make exorbitant demands of €15-20m to sell him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest