Manchester United are still interested in securing the services of Ajax winger Antony, TalkSPORT reporter Alex Crook claims.
The 22-year-old has been constantly linked with a move to Old Trafford this summer, but United are yet to make progress over a deal.
It was recently claimed that United had ended their pursuit of the Brazilian star, but Crook reports that Antony is still on the club’s radar.
United boss Erik ten Hag is said to be a strong admirer of his former player, and the club have been fancied to make a late approach.
The Red Devils failed with an opening bid of €60 million this month, but Crook believes they could prise him away for around €70m.
He added that a move won’t be dependent on Cristiano Ronaldo leaving.
United have the funds to spend on Antony
United made a quiet start to the transfer window, but have been busy this month with the purchase of three players, the latest of those being Lisandro Martinez from Ajax.
The Dutch champions made the best use of the prolonged negotiations to drive the price up. Hence, United can’t expect any reductions from them, and they will need to pay a premium fee for Antony.
United could lower the €70m valuation by including variables, but the big question is whether they are prepared to recruit a player, who has yet to be involved in pre-season with Ajax this summer.
Antony has been recovering from an ankle problem sustained in March this year, and it has been confirmed by manager Alfred Schreuder that he may not be involved until the final phase of pre-season.
With the transfer window not closing until September 1, United may probably play the waiting game to assess his fitness, but it won’t be a surprise if they eventually land his signature.
Antony had a solid 2021/22 season with 12 goals and 10 assists from 32 outings. He is a left-footed winger, who specialises on the right wing, and would provide a different outlook to United’s attack.
Jadon Sancho has impressed from the role in pre-season, but Ten Hag will want competition for places. He may not want a player to consider his place for granted with no one suitable to replace him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot