Lyon striker Moussa Dembele continues to remain on the radar of Manchester United during the final weeks of the transfer window, Manchester Evening News claim.
The Red Devils are determined to bolster their attacking department before the transfer deadline, and they have recently been linked with a move for Atletico Madrid’s Matheus Cunha.
Dembele has also been mentioned as a potential target in the past, and M.E.N report that the France international is still under United’s consideration for a transfer.
The 26-year-old has turned down interest from Everton and Villarreal, but United could be a lucrative option for him. Lyon prefer to sell him with his deal expiring next summer.
Dembele would be a decent acquisition for United
Dembele had an injury-plagued start to the previous campaign. However, he picked up form during the back end, finishing with 22 goals and five assists from 36 appearances.
The Premier League presents a much difficult challenge for Dembele, but his good aerial presence, dribbling ability and finishing skills would make him a decent signing.
He would be a handy acquisition to play on a rotational basis. The Frenchman is currently valued at £18 million by Transfermarkt, but United could prise him away for much less.
The Red Devils may ideally want to delay an approach until the closing stages of the window such that Les Gones are compelled to accept a cut-price deal for the former Celtic man.
Meanwhile, there may be the possibility of United pursuing more than one centre-forward with suggestions that Cristiano Ronaldo could be sold by the club before the window shuts.
The hierarchy may well land both Dembele and Cunha. The latter won’t come for cheap with a £42m price tag, but his workrate and movement would be perfect for Erik ten Hag’s system.
Cunha only bagged seven goals and eight assists for Atletico Madrid last term, but achieved the feat after playing just 1342 minutes. This constitutes a goal or an assist in every 89 minutes.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Pogba admits he fell short of expectations at Manchester United
- Rashford and Martial doubtful for Manchester derby after missing training
- Roberto Carlos names two current Man United players he would like to play with
- Three Manchester United winners from the international break
- ‘He makes my game easier’ – Bruno Fernandes full of praise for Eriksen
- Diogo Dalot hoping for a new Man United contract with Europe’s elite clubs eyeing up transfer
- Manchester United midfielder gives verdict on Ronaldo’s performance after Portugal’s 1-0 defeat
- Ben Foster advises Jude Bellingham to join Manchester United
- Manchester United: Shaw and Ferdinand back Maguire after England horror show
- Cody Gakpo’s form could reignite interest from Manchester United in January