Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay produced a fantastic performance as Scotland stunned Spain in their Euro 2024 qualifier last night.
Steve Clarke’s side went into the game at Hampden Park as big underdogs but they managed to beat La Roja against the odds after McTominay’s heroics.
McTominay bagged two late goals against Cyprus last week and he continued his excellent form against Spain, opening the scoring in the seventh minute.
The 26-year-old guided a left-footed shot beyond Kepa Arrizabalaga after an assist from Andy Robertson
Scotland were able to preserve their lead until the interval and shortly after the break, McTominay repeated his goalscoring feat in the 51st minute.
Kieran Tierney made a stunning lung-bursting run from his own half before crossing in the box. A flawed clearance saw McTominay score on the volley.
McTominay has now netted four times in his last two appearances for his national side, having previously managed just one goal in 37 outings for them.
McTominay should be used as a creative midfielder
McTominay has seen limited playing time for the Red Devils since October. He started the season as an undisputed starter from the number six position.
However, he was displaced by Casemiro after the September international break. He has since struggled to nail down a starting role under Erik ten Hag.
McTominay recently started against Fulham in the FA Cup quarter-final due to Casemiro’s suspension, but he had a tough outing before being substituted.
In our opinion, the Scot is clearly not a defensive midfielder by trade, but he should be used by the manager in a more creative role in the coming months.
It is unclear whether McTominay has a future at United beyond this season. His displays for Scotland have definitely enhanced his transfer value for the summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager
- Eric Ramsay leaves Manchester United to become Minnesota head coach
- Man Utd prepared to listen to offers for Antony, willing to cut their losses