Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay produced a fantastic performance as Scotland stunned Spain in their Euro 2024 qualifier last night.
Steve Clarke’s side went into the game at Hampden Park as big underdogs but they managed to beat La Roja against the odds after McTominay’s heroics.
McTominay bagged two late goals against Cyprus last week and he continued his excellent form against Spain, opening the scoring in the seventh minute.
The 26-year-old guided a left-footed shot beyond Kepa Arrizabalaga after an assist from Andy Robertson
Scotland were able to preserve their lead until the interval and shortly after the break, McTominay repeated his goalscoring feat in the 51st minute.
Kieran Tierney made a stunning lung-bursting run from his own half before crossing in the box. A flawed clearance saw McTominay score on the volley.
McTominay has now netted four times in his last two appearances for his national side, having previously managed just one goal in 37 outings for them.
McTominay should be used as a creative midfielder
McTominay has seen limited playing time for the Red Devils since October. He started the season as an undisputed starter from the number six position.
However, he was displaced by Casemiro after the September international break. He has since struggled to nail down a starting role under Erik ten Hag.
McTominay recently started against Fulham in the FA Cup quarter-final due to Casemiro’s suspension, but he had a tough outing before being substituted.
In our opinion, the Scot is clearly not a defensive midfielder by trade, but he should be used by the manager in a more creative role in the coming months.
It is unclear whether McTominay has a future at United beyond this season. His displays for Scotland have definitely enhanced his transfer value for the summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’