Manchester United defender Raphael Varane is expected to be fit ahead of the World Cup campaign with France, according to French publication L’Equipe.
The centre-back sustained a hamstring injury during the 1-1 league draw against Chelsea last month and he was visibly in tears coming off the playing field.
However, the setback was not serious as initially visualised and L’Equipe have now provided positive news on his recovery ahead of Les Bleus’ squad selection on Wednesday.
The 29-year-old has already started running on the grass and could resume training before linking up with Didier Deschamps’ squad next week for World Cup preparation.
While Varane won’t feature against Aston Villa or Fulham this week, there is plenty of optimism from L’Equipe that he will be fit in time for France’s title defence.
Varane’s early return from injury is good news
Varane’s injury last month came out of the blue. The France international seemed to have finally got over his injury troubles only to pick up a fresh hamstring problem.
He was obviously devastated after the setback, considering the upcoming World Cup could be his final one. He now appears on course to make a swift recovery.
His presence at the back would be a huge boost for Les Bleus as they defend their crown. The country will be aiming to go all the way despite missing several key players.
Meanwhile, United should also be pleased with Varane’s situation, but they will be hoping that the centre-back returns unscathed from the tournament in Qatar.
It is clear that United are at their best when Varane and Lisandro Martinez work in tandem in central defence. Hopefully, the partnership is renewed next month.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books