Manchester United could be without Cristiano Ronaldo, Raphael Varane, Luke Shaw and Edinson Cavani for Sunday’s Manchester derby at the Etihad Stadium.
The Red Devils have been largely inconsistent in the Premier League this year. They have picked up just nine points from the last five matches with three draws in the process.
Hence, their upcoming clash against Manchester City is a potential must-win. Otherwise, Arsenal could leapfrog them to the final Champions League spot if they beat Watford on the road.
Ahead of the game, The Express‘ Alex Turk has provided a surprise update by revealing that Ronaldo, Varane, Shaw and Cavani were not part of the 21-man squad reporting at the team’s hotel.
The exact reason for their absence has not been revealed but it is certainly a shock, considering all four players were actively involved in training ahead of the game.
It is unlikely that interim boss Ralf Rangnick may have dropped any of them. We should get more clarity on the situation when the matchday squads are announced tomorrow.
Ronaldo has been short of confidence since the beginning of the year. The Portuguese has netted just once in the past ten games, thus leading to questions over his starting position.
His unavailability alongside Cavani could pave the way for Marcus Rashford to lead the line. The England star has been short of confidence, but has excelled in recent derbies.
Rashford has contributed a goal and an assist in the last two league meetings at the Etihad Stadium where United have been victorious. He may have the chance to redeem himself.
Meanwhile, Alex Telles could cover up for Shaw at left-back, but Varane’s absence would be a big blow, considering he has started to come into his own after an injury-plagued start to his United career.
Harry Maguire could be reinstated into central defence alongside Victor Lindelof if the Frenchman is out. This is worrying, given Maguire’s positional errors this season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- ‘He makes my game easier’ – Bruno Fernandes full of praise for Eriksen
- Diogo Dalot hoping for a new Man United contract with Europe’s elite clubs eyeing up transfer
- Manchester United midfielder gives verdict on Ronaldo’s performance after Portugal’s 1-0 defeat
- Ben Foster advises Jude Bellingham to join Manchester United
- Manchester United: Shaw and Ferdinand back Maguire after England horror show
- Cody Gakpo’s form could reignite interest from Manchester United in January
- Tyrell Malacia stars against Belgium to cement Manchester United place ahead of Shaw
- Michael Carrick praises Manchester United’s summer signing Christian Eriksen
- Manchester United should move on from Cristiano Ronaldo in January
- Manchester United should be half-owned by ‘real fans’, says Eric Cantona