Manchester United could be without Bruno Fernandes for the next two games against Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa following his ankle injury in the FA Cup semi-final.
The Portuguese suffered the setback in the first half against Brighton & Hove Albion but managed to carry on and was only substituted in the opening period of extra time.
The 28-year-old is set to miss the Premier League game at Tottenham Hotspur tomorrow while he is also doubtful for Sunday’s home meeting against in-form Aston Villa.
Fernandes’ absence is a huge blow for Man Utd
Fernandes had a slow start to the season with only three goals and three assists before the World Cup.
Since the restart, his form has been quite spectacular. The Portuguese has made another 17 goal contributions. He has been key to the club’s successful campaign.
Hence, his absence is a huge blow, considering United lack the creativity in the final third without him. Marcel Sabitzer is not known for his ability to pick out key passes.
Christian Eriksen can play in the attacking midfield role but the Dane has been operating centrally over the past few years. He is still finding his feet after his ankle injury.
United are currently in a strong position to qualify for next season’s Champions League but there is still plenty of work to be done to ensure that they finish in the top four.
As things stand, the club need 77 points to guarantee a top-four position. They require six victories from their remaining eight games of the top-flight campaign.
The tally could come down in the coming weeks depending on Brighton’s results but United can’t afford to get complacent and must keep on winning games.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player