Manchester United are showing signs of moving away from goalkeeper Diogo Costa due to Porto’s transfer demands, according to O Jogo (page 5).
The Red Devils are currently unsure over the future of David de Gea. The Spain international has refused to accept a significant reduction on his weekly wages.
He could head for the exit door when his contract expires on June 30, and Costa is one of the players that has been touted to become United’s number one.
The club were keeping a close eye on him throughout last season, but it seems they may not make a formal bid due to Porto’s firm stance on the price tag.
Costa currently has a release clause worth €75 million on his contract, and O Jogo claim that Porto won’t entertain any discount to part ways with their graduate.
The Primeira Liga outfit desperately need €50m to balance their books by June 30, but they consider the Portuguese as too valuable to lose for a reduced transfer fee.
Meanwhile, United have started talks with Onana’s agent. The Cameroonian is now considered the front-runner to become the club’s first-choice keeper if De Gea leaves.
Onana is a better signing than Costa for United
Onana has developed into one of the best goalkeepers in world football. He has excelled with his shot-stopping, distribution and the ability to play as a sweeper-keeper.
He would be a big upgrade on De Gea between the sticks for United. Costa is also another talented shot-stopper, but the 23-year-old is prone to the occasional error.
His misjudgement of a cross contributed to Portugal’s 1-0 defeat to Morocco at the 2022 World Cup.
Hence, Onana would be the better acquisition over Costa for United. He may be four years older, but experience is obviously a good thing when it comes to goalkeeping.
Onana could also be available for a lesser fee of €60m. He would represent a superb piece of signing, considering his familiarity working with manager Erik ten Hag.
The former Barcelona graduate was with the Dutch tactician at Ajax for four-and-a-half seasons. He should have no trouble adapting to the playing style at United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions